Reason to get cheapest Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by liberated, Mar 13, 2015.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

So as I was reading more news about the upcoming release of apple watch I ran into this. Covers or "cases" for the watch. If the trend we see with iPhones holds true (people covering the phone with ugly plastic cases) buying a more expensive stainless steel edition of the watch may not make sense. Why buy that when someone can buy a sports model and cover it with ugly plastic. Before someone points out the sapphire glass on the stainless steel model, do not forget zagg and others who will surely come in with their screen protectors. I will be passing on this but just wanted to share.

watch edition + ugly plastic cover = FAIL LOL :-D
    pqla2rqfow0drqvm2amo-2.jpg

2. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Can you just imagine it! People will actually be putting WATCHES IN CASES!!!! The idea alone makes me laugh.
    Bad enough they spend on a beautiful work of art like an iPhone and then stuff it into a humongous RUBBER and PLASTIC BOX.

Ok, sorry for the rant and all the caps, but I truly don't get it. I'm not trying to troll here but.... I just don't understand the whole "case" phenomenon.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

For a phone, a case makes sense to me as I keep mine in an Otterbox Defender unles I'm attending a formal function of some sort and then I'll take it out of the case. But putting a case on a watch.........NOT!!! The watch I normally wear a Tissot T-Touch and I wouldn't ever think of putting a case on it so why would I want to put a case on a watch that only costs half as much as my Tissot? Additionally, the Apple watch is already rather bulky so why add to the bulk?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the Apple watch will be susceptible to scratches and shattering since nobody will have a case on it. I guess little Apple watch screen protectors will become a thing, though. I have a Tissot T-Touch that I've had for several years and it has no scratches. That's because the crystal is set down lower than the metal. My Movado Bolds always get scratches on the sapphire within six months because they have a flush watch face and have nothing to protect it. I dropped one of the Movados three feet on a tile floor and the sapphire shattered. The Apple leather case has enough of a lip that my phones fare fine from drops at that height.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I disagree with saying people won't use cases for the watch. People are paranoid about damaging their phones, almost no one uses a phone without a case. The watch will be no different. Case manufacturers will see a boom in business and unfortunately these cases will be over priced. A screen protector is a must though. The only interesting case/band id consider if I was buying a watch is this battery band

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1426262134.983549.jpg

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Some people will, but I seriously doubt it will be standard like it is with iPhones. Cases will completely ruin the look of the Apple watch. It's made to be naked and to be shown off, especially the gold one.

You'd be surprised how many people use their iPhone 6+s without cases. Some people look at shoes or hair. I zone in on phones. Go figure. :D I see at least four naked iPhone 6+s per minute when I walk through the forum shops at Caesar's Palace. I think a lot of people who are into high-end stuff refuse to cheapen their phones with a case...even if it is a slippery 6.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I suppose. I myself refused to use a case for my iPhone until the 6. I don't know, I've lost faith after seeing so many ugly overpriced cases, bumpers, etc. I still think this case will be a thing. Maybe a full body slickwraps will be available too.

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

A case on a watch! Definitely not for me, but i'm sure there will be those out there who will rock it! Imagine a rubber case on a Rolex....

rolex.jpg

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

That looks ridiculous hahahahaha but I agree, it won't be long until we see the otter box for Apple watch LMAO!!!!

10. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I see a much smaller case/protector market for the Watch simply because it is firmly attached to your wrist most of the time and not as susceptible to drops. But there will be a few that need to match the case and band to accessorize an outfit.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You're not accounting for bumps and scratches against walls, car doors, purses, etc.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yeah I know, and although lots of people have always protected their IPhones with cases, very few protect their watches, even with a screen protector. Now, just because this is the Watch, I suspect we will see these types of accessories being used by some.

If I had to guess at what percentage would use a case/protector on their watch, I would guess less than half of the number who use a case/protector on their iPhone.

13. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Totally agree with you on that! Specially the last sentence

14. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

This!

15. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

My wife is getting me one. So I can cop out by saying I didn't get it!

But to this thread's point, no way I'm putting anything resembling a case on it. And a screen protector? Just to have another seam or line on the display? No thanks. This will be all naked. Watches to me have always been a fine balance between functionality and function. Today, there isn't enough function in any watch for me to wear it. I sport a Rado, Bulova, or Movado based on the occasion. I think the Apple Watch reintroduces functionality but not at the loss of fashion.

#15 Ohmster, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015