Reason to lock iPhone?

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
So, I was thinking (yes, I'm very slow) but what's the point of locking/unlocking your iPhone and using your passcode if ultimately, if you lose it/have it stolen, someone could restore anyway. I'm probably missing something, anyone know what?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So, I was thinking (yes, I'm very slow) but what's the point of locking/unlocking your iPhone and using your passcode if ultimately, if you lose it/have it stolen, someone could restore anyway. I'm probably missing something, anyone know what?
It's to prevent them from seeing your data (contacts, email, etc.). Sure they can restore, but all they'll have then is an empty iPhone.

I would never leave my data exposed without a passcode. That said the passcode feature should--like most every other smartphone--have a place to add your own text (e.g., "Reward if found. Please call 555-555-1212"). So I've edited my wallpaper as a work-around, adding text in a spot that is visible with the passcode entry on-screen.

--
Mike

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
It's to prevent them from seeing your data (contacts, email, etc.). Sure they can restore, but all they'll have then is an empty iPhone.

I would never leave my data exposed without a passcode. That said the passcode feature should--like most every other smartphone--have a place to add your own text (e.g., "Reward if found. Please call 555-555-1212"). So I've edited my wallpaper as a work-around, adding text in a spot that is visible with the passcode entry on-screen.

--
Mike
I'll be the first one to say thats remarkably smart haha. Good Solution. Though you always have that information on the wallpaper when your not in the passcode screen. Or are you talking about the slide to open wallpaper?

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
think about it

I don't know about you but I have emails from websites and services that contain user/passwords, home addresses for contacts, pictures, etc. Do you want a thief to have access to such things? They would figure "hey, this guy has an iPhone, wonder what else he has at home? Ohhhh, here is the home address and pics of his big screen TV!". I would rather lose my phone over my ID and have my house raided.

Do you lock your doors at home? Even though insurance would replace your items assuming you were robbed.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas

--
Mike
I did the same thing on my Nuvi.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

--
Mike
Seems funny to me now that Windows Mobile can get a lot of the 'small stuff' right - like having a spot for your if lost, contact etc. text - but whiff so badly on the big things ...

hutchinsonsxe

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
i lock mine for a few reasons, firstly nosey friends at school or at work. Next being if some one gets stick fingers an takes my phone once it locks they are screwed.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I keep mine locked as a precaution. Started with PPC and Palm and continue with the iPhone. I get coporate email and have personal information that I would prefer others not to have access to.