Rebel VS Candyshell, Who Wins? Why?

walkr

Bronze
Sep 3, 2009
I have been driving myself crazy for the last couple of days looking for an iPhone case. My 3GS will be here in a couple days and I can't figure out which case will work better for me.

I've narrowed it down to the Switcheasy Rebel and Speck Candyshell. I have heard great things about both, but also a few negative things. I've heard the Rebel sags on the bottom almost in every case and that the Candyshell usually breaks right above the dock connector and below the home button. Another thing I've heard of (not as much) is that the Candyshell allows dirt and grime into the back of the iPhone, but mainly just on the upper half near the camera hole. Please let me know if these things are true!

I'm going to be pulling it in and out of my somewhat tight jeans usually so thickness does matter a bit, that's why I'm exclusing Otterbox, Tough Skin etc.

Thanks for your help guys! Recommendations are really appreciated!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I can tell you this much (cause I've had no experience with the candyshell) My rebel sagged after about a month. I recently replaced it with the capsule neo by switcheasy, I think it looks better and it's a PITA to put on...once it's one, it looks and feels great.

walkr

Bronze
Sep 3, 2009
so **** it, i just pulled the trigger on the waxstick white speck candyshell. was getting a bit frazzled, i must've watched 30 reviews lol. i found the candyshell on ebay for $20, but then realized speck won't cover the one year warranty unless it is bought from an actual retailer. i found it for $25 including shipping at www.thegreatguys.com, so we'll see how it turns out!

i figure $25 isn't bad considering they have a really great warranty from what i've read. apparently the perfect 3g case doesn't exist, it's just a matter of finding which one of these cases problems suit your needs lol.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I love the Speck CandyShell. I never had dirt get into the back, and the bottom plastic did break on me; however, I took it out of the case A LOT. Even still, there is rubber that obviously won't break, so it holds the plastic together anyway. You'll see what I mean when you get it.

Good choice, hope you enjoy it.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Candyshell definitely. The switcheasy products are garbage. Still the candyshell is far from perfect. The corners rip kinda easy, the rubber surrounding the bezel is susceptible to wear, the volume and sleep/awake button line up differently on each candyshell(production differences), the back scratches to hell in just a week.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
the back scratches to hell in just a week.
Are you referring to the back of the CandyShell or the back of your iPhone. If so, yes the case scratches but it protects the iPhone. My iPhone was absolutely FLAWLESS when having it inside the CandyShell. Sure the case may take a beating but that is the point of the case, to protect your phone! :cool:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I like my Capsule Rebel. I experience the sagging only when I've removed the dock cover for syncing or charging. Otherwise, I always keep the cover in place. I love this case but I'm certain I'll get others in the future since no case is perfect ... so far.

YMMV

kirbaby

Bronze
Jul 21, 2009
South Bay, CA
I love the Speck CandyShell. I never had dirt get into the back, and the bottom plastic did break on me; however, I took it out of the case A LOT. Even still, there is rubber that obviously won't break, so it holds the plastic together anyway. You'll see what I mean when you get it.

Good choice, hope you enjoy it.
i hated that POS.