Reboot iPhone 5 if top button doesn't work

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GlennS

Bronze
Jul 23, 2010
My 'power' button no longer works. How can I reboot my iPhone 5 if I can't hold power and home button down at same time?
I can press the top button, but it doesn't work and all I get is Siri asking me what she can do for me (booting isn't one, I tried asking 'her'.

GlennS

Bronze
Jul 23, 2010
Can an 'app' be written to do it? I can't write apps, but there are quite a few of you out there. There has to bean API since Apple update can do it.

GlennS

Bronze
Jul 23, 2010
Letting battery drain is not something I want to do (though it quite frequently gets pretty close to 'drained' all on its' own)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My 'power' button no longer works. How can I reboot my iPhone 5 if I can't hold power and home button down at same time?
I can press the top button, but it doesn't work and all I get is Siri asking me what she can do for me (booting isn't one, I tried asking 'her'.
You can reboot your phone with Assistive Touch.

Settings > General > Accesibilty > Assisive Touch > On

This will place a subdued icon on the screen which can be moved anywhere you like. You can turn Assitive Touch on only when you want to reboot or you can leave it on at all times.

To reboot the phone, open Assitive Touch by tapping the icon and then click "device." Now press and hold "lock screen" for two seconds and the option for sliding to power off will appear.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
If you turn on assistive touch in settings/general/accessibility/AssistiveTouch you. Can turn your phone off by the button on screen then device and press and hold the one that says lock screen the slide to power off will appear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Turning off the phone is another way to reboot. If you're are worried that you won't be able to turn on the phone due to the power button being busted the just plug it in and it will boot up again

Last edited:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You can reboot your phone with Assistive Touch.

Settings > General > Accesibilty > Assisive Touch > On

This will place a subdued icon on the screen which can be moved anywhere you like. You can turn Assitive Touch on only when you want to reboot or you can leave it on at all times.

To reboot the phone, open Assitive Touch by tapping the icon and then click "device." Now press and hold "lock screen" for two seconds and the option for sliding to power off will appear.
Johnny.jpg