Recall of Explosive Galaxy Note 7 Devices Expected

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 features a 2,560×1,440 Super AMOLED dual curved display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad-core 64-bit 14nm processor, 4GB of RAM, 12-megapixel Dual Pixel rear-facing camera, wireless charging, an iris scanner, IP68-rated waterproofing, and a 3,500 mAh exploding battery.

Samsung is apparently ready to take full blame for their blunder, according to the linked article.

Android Police also expects that a global recall of the incendiary devices is “imminent.”

ap_resize.php.png

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Another Galaxy Note 7 has exploded, and this phone destroyed not only itself, but also some of its surroundings in a hotel room. The total damage was $1380.

Galaxy-Note-7-battery-explode.jpg

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Another Galaxy Note 7 has exploded, and this phone destroyed not only itself, but also some of its surroundings in a hotel room. The total damage was $1380.

View attachment 44529
Sounds like the businessman I read about the other day. Samsung is going to foot the bill for the carpet, I read. The phones don't explode as much as pop open and start burning, from what I've been led to believe. An anonymous Samsung executive said that the company shaved some time off its quality control testing in order to get the phone to market before the introduction of the iPhone 7. Oops.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
In separate incidents, a garage and a Jeep Grand Cherokee succumbed to the fiery wrath of the self-immolating Galaxy Note 7.

note-7-garrage-burn.jpg

Note-7.png

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The Jeep was the photo I posted earlier.
I thought it might be that one. Good, now we have an inside and an outside view.

As an expert on fire, do you have any specific tips for a user whose Galaxy Note 7 has just caught on fire? Should one attempt to put out the fire, or is it better to run for one's life and dial 911 and leave it to the experts?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
That is really disappointing. I have never been a fan of Samsung until I recently purchased a Galaxy Edge 7 and I must say I am pretty impressed with its quality and overall performance. Friends of mine kept advising me to wait for the Note 7 since I like larger screens but I sure am glad I didn't.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Sounds like the businessman I read about the other day. Samsung is going to foot the bill for the carpet, I read. The phones don't explode as much as pop open and start burning, from what I've been led to believe. An anonymous Samsung executive said that the company shaved some time off its quality control testing in order to get the phone to market before the introduction of the iPhone 7. Oops.
More information is revealed about how Samsung screwed themselves because they “pushed suppliers to meet tighter deadlines, despite loads of new features.”

One employee, in an online discussion group, has called the episode “humiliating."

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, I'm sure Samsung isn't thrilled about this, but apparently a replacement Galaxy Note 7 melted down on a Southwest Airlines passenger jet waiting at the gate.

Per the owner of the Note 7:

Green said that he had powered down the phone as requested by the flight crew and put it in his pocket when it began smoking. He dropped it on the floor of the plane and a "thick grey-green angry smoke" was pouring out of the device. Green’s colleague went back onto the plane to retrieve some personal belongings and said that the phone had burned through the carpet and scorched the subfloor of the plane.

Green’s Note 7 is in the hands of the Louisville Fire Department’s arson unit for investigation. He has already replaced it with an iPhone 7.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, I'm sure Samsung isn't thrilled about this, but apparently a replacement Galaxy Note 7 melted down on a Southwest Airlines passenger jet waiting at the gate.

Per the owner of the Note 7:

Green said that he had powered down the phone as requested by the flight crew and put it in his pocket when it began smoking. He dropped it on the floor of the plane and a "thick grey-green angry smoke" was pouring out of the device. Green’s colleague went back onto the plane to retrieve some personal belongings and said that the phone had burned through the carpet and scorched the subfloor of the plane.

Green’s Note 7 is in the hands of the Louisville Fire Department’s arson unit for investigation. He has already replaced it with an iPhone 7.
Samsung should probably just recall them and issue full refunds (no replacements). They also need to ban them altogether on flights, rather than just instructing people to power them off. This would have been an in-flight emergency if the plane had already lifted off.