Receiving Calls While On Internet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Brandon

Jul 3, 2007
If you're on wireless then an incoming call will take priority... Apparently if you're browsing via Edge then calls will be sent to voicemail. I don't know if this was actually confirmed one way or another, but that has been a limitation of the data network in the past (calls don't come through only when you are actively Tx/Rx'ing data over Edge)

I doubt that helped much but I tried :)

Peace
//B

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
If you're on wireless then an incoming call will take priority... Apparently if you're browsing via Edge then calls will be sent to voicemail. I don't know if this was actually confirmed one way or another, but that has been a limitation of the data network in the past (calls don't come through only when you are actively Tx/Rx'ing data over Edge)

I doubt that helped much but I tried :)

Peace
//B

yo b that helpd a lot man...you get the all american "I doubt that helped much but I tried" award...and the winner is...B! LOL

but yeah man i used edge on my treo, funny thing, at times i got incoming calls ...interesting...

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
If you're actively transferring data, then the call will go to voicemail. If you're browsing, you'll probably be ok but since the iPhone can access full sites it takes longer to down them so the possibility of missing calls is higher. Streaming YouTube will absolutely result in calls going to voicemail. You can easily do some testing and see for yourself.

Joe

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
^^^ I agree with that. It is on;y when actively downloading material that calls will get knocked off. IMO that should be changed if possible. Shouldn't be hard to do on ATT's side though right?

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Well it's hardware dependant. Your calls are coming through because the phone is not actively Dl'ing data, this is were 2G and 3G comes in. on 3G data and voice are on different channels, where as in 2G Voice and data are on the same channel and you can only do one or the other at one time.. Unfortunately the current iPhone is a 2G.
:(

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
nom1 vs nom2

Hello,

Actually whether you will receive incoming calls while using EDGE depends on which GPRS EDGE Profile you are connected to. If you are connected to "nom1" the EDGE connection will pause and you will receive the call but if you are connected via "nom2" then the call will be sent straight to voicemail.

In order to check to which "nom" you are connected go in field test (By dialing *3001#12345#*) then go to GPRS information and check your "nom" connection.

It appears that most of the times the GPRS EDGE connections goes through "nom2" instead of "nom1" so we often miss those calls and get voicemails. It is and AT&T issue.

I hope that helps.

-Bohs