Recent Banishments; Holiday Crackdown

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Wow, I've noticed several Bans on regular posters here yesterday evening... What in the world is going on?

What's even more amazing is that I somehow squeaked by untouched in all this madness... Some of the reactions and responses I illicit, I woulda' thought I was next!

OJ got away again.....

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
The admin was band happy? *shrugs* I got band once for calling someone a dooshbag only to see someone else call someone one and didn't get band. So far as I see it, if your not one of the admins favs then crap on ya. Its his house but with out us its an big waste of space, not like it isn't hard to toss up a php forum and play the red queen to your guests :laugh2:

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
Ive not been posting much, basically because their is not much NEW or updated on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

However I've always noticed a heavy hand with the administrator. I belong to a few sailing forums and well lets just say it can get a little salty and the langauge can sound like a bunch of sailors on shore leave. Occasionally there are brawls, but its only an internet forum so no one gets really hurt ;)

It's a shame that people get banned on this forum for what I would call minor infractions.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, from what I can tell, two of the people banned were logging the same IP address, which apparently is against the rules - and I completely understand that. There are mitigating circumstances, and I am sure that it's being looked at, so it will eventually work itself out.
I will say one thing though, I did notice that 2 particular accounts that were banned, they were posting in the same threads, at almost the same time. I can only assume that they were the 2 accounts from the same IP.

There is a small problem with that particular rule though. Here at my office, there are roughly 700 people that all pass through our firewall with the same IP address. And at home, my wife and I are on a home network that only has 1 IP address to the web. She doesn't have an iPhone so there is no worry about her registering here, but if someone from work registers here and there are 2 or more accounts showing to be posting from the same IP, does that mean I would get banned too?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We don't ban people for "minor infractions". The warning system is used for that purpose and works well. Additionally, the policy and administration hasn't changed since I started running forums. When you see a banned member, remember there is always more to the story. When two people, who share the same IP mysteriously join around the same time and conduct a conversation, the flags go up. In some cases, the edited portion includes some sort of product endorsement. If left on the forums, a member could think this "endorsement" comes from two regular iPhone users. IMHO, that's one of the worst offenses.

The recent ban that is making waves was done for an assortment of offenses including:
  • Conversations started and continued between what I deemed the same member (IP, writing style, etc.)
  • Insulting a established and helpful member (MacManPro
  • Running up posts
Certain members ran to their defense. Oddly, some of these members were guilty of abusing the forum (7 posts and 70 thank yous).

And yes it is the Internet, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to have an intelligent, knowledgeable group of members without the use of foul langauge.

-Chris

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
wow. Excellent answer! I'm sorry if you feel like you have to explain all this to us but I appreciate it nontheless. I have noticed some of the very things you mentioned and now I know why its unacceptable. Just for the record, thanks for not mistakening my political incorrectness for hatefulness or abusive behavior. Its not. I'm all about having fun and adding color to these forums. Yes, I ruffle feathers. And that's just fine. I do not hate anyone. My avatar and username are easy to be fooled by. Just looking at that face I'm sure makes some people's blood boil when they see it...LOL!

Thanks again for all you do, Chris. I love this place. KUDOS!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Chris,
Please don't take my post as derogatory. I moderate a paintball forum, and we keep the same rules there as well. I was just pointing out that there can be problems with 2 or more legitimate accounts coming through the same IP. However, I did look at Chris716's last couple of posts, and the other banned account was right there posting within minutes (and sometimes seconds) of each other. A bit to coincidental for me, especially when they appear to be "strokin" each others comments.
Personally, I never had a problem with them, but I am just one little fish in a big pond.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
wow. Excellent answer! I'm sorry if you feel like you have to explain all this to us but I appreciate it nontheless. I have noticed some of the very things you mentioned and now I know why its unacceptable. Just for the record, thanks for not mistakening my political incorrectness for hatefulness or abusive behavior. Its not. I'm all about having fun and adding color to these forums. Yes, I ruffle feathers. And that's just fine. I do not hate anyone. My avatar and username are easy to be fooled by. Just looking at that face I'm sure makes some people's blood boil when they see it...LOL!

Thanks again for all you do, Chris. I love this place. KUDOS!
OJ...you are not hateful, I like to read your posts because they have wit and sometimes humor.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
So are those guys banned for life? or just sent to Siberia for some cooling off?
When you're NWO, you're NWO for life...

I wouldn't think they're banned for life, just until their IP refreshes or they make a new account.

Dec 17, 2007
alright people many of you know that I chris716 was banned yesterday. I would like to to everyone the whole story behind this this weekend my little brother came over he had just got his iPhone and was wanting to know what sites I go to about my phone so I showed him this one he created an account ussing my CPU he didn't even start to post on his account until last night after he went back to his house but the account was created on my CPU which made it look like I have 2 usernames which I don't. I don't see why chris can't just delete the second name and just allow him to create another account from his house. Ive emailed chris several times and I've got no response at all. Also if there were comments to any users that were rude from my name chris716 I'm sorry about them as I didn't do that either it would have been my little brother whom done that I'd been a member for about a month and nothing bad has ever happened till this weekend when he came over so chris can you allow me to come back to the site please.....

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
alright people many of you know that I chris716 was banned yesterday. I would like to to everyone the whole story behind this this weekend my little brother came over he had just got his iPhone and was wanting to know what sites I go to about my phone so I showed him this one he created an account ussing my CPU he didn't even start to post on his account until last night after he went back to his house but the account was created on my CPU which made it look like I have 2 usernames which I don't. I don't see why chris can't just delete the second name and just allow him to create another account from his house. Ive emailed chris several times and I've got no response at all. Also if there were comments to any users that were rude from my name chris716 I'm sorry about them as I didn't do that either it would have been my little brother whom done that I'd been a member for about a month and nothing bad has ever happened till this weekend when he came over so chris can you allow me to come back to the site please.....
I was wondering why you did such a complete 180 compared to your other posts. I was thinking to myself, "how does this guy have that many 'Thanks' if he's calling people idiots and telling them to stfu in his 'help' repsonses?"

Well that clears it up.

I'm sure you can continue posting here, and maybe one day with your original account, but that said, this isn't the first time I've heard a story like yours, and for someone who runs more than one forum like Chris does, its a little hard and maybe even a tad tedious to play judge, jury and executioner at times like this.

Welcome back and maybe the new nickname will grow on you.

Dec 17, 2007
I just hope that chris will see this and understand what happened and allow me to come back on my original. AME how are you posting if it says your banned.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just hope that chris will see this and understand what happened and allow me to come back on my original. AME how are you posting if it says your banned.
I thought everyone doing a mass exodus or something, I opened up one thread and say all these "Banned" avatars and thought "Hey I want one!"

I'm not banned, but my avatar is ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Now you are posting from the same IP as Buzzdar. Buzzdar has 8 posts (most of which follow up your posts). He's also conveniently posted a link to a product through his site and abused the "thanks" system amassing 86 or so useless thanks.

You've been running up posts, told people to stfu on more than one occasion and had conversations and more conversations through the same IP. After all the post running, you then asked for your account to be deleted. You also created a new thread to insult MacManPro, a valued member of EIC.

I personally think your ban is more than warranted. As for the length, perhaps I'll reconsider. The more time I spend on this nonsense, the less inclined I am to reconsider.

-Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.