Recent evidence suggests iPhone may cause sudden personality shifts.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I've been a Windows user since high school (A very very long time ago. As in, I was uncomfortable with a GUI over a DOS prompt. :)) Anyway, while lots of people often complain about the errors, glitches, software/hardware conflicts, etc... that are part and parcel of PC life, for me they were puzzles and challenges to be overcome. Every time I was able to get past one of these roadblocks I felt some strange sense of accomplishment. As I've grown older, though, more and more these things just annoy the crap out of me and I've recognized them for what they are: barriers to productivity. Productivity can be defined however you like: successfuly getting games and other programs to run properly is the endpoint though.

My PDAs and phones have been a similar journey. I owned an original Palm Pilot and still have notes on my current T/X that I entered on that antique device. While Palms may be a little less glitchy than Windows Mobile devices they still crash with some frequency. The more programs the more crashes. Don't even get me started on the various Treos I've owned. My last one crashed every time I was unable to answer the phone before the caller hung up. I wouldn't even own a Palm device anymore except that I have voluminous notes/memos/treatment algorithms on there that I developed throughout medical school and residency, and I also have Epocrates on there (a frequently updated drug information database which is invaluable in private practice.)

I have uniformly shunned any and all Apple computers that didn't have IIe after the logo (those are REALLY old Apples for you youngsters). They always seemed like pretend computers to me. You know, closed systems. No tinkering necessary. Waaayy to simplistic.

Then I got my iPhone. The ease of use, stability, and design of this device are just astounding. Now admittedly it lacks some features that I consider necessary, but more and more I'm able to overlook those things and look to the future when they may be implemented (new SDK release should fix things in a hurry).

The biggest problem with the iPhone? It's melted my Windows impregnated brain cells. Within the two weeks I've owned this phone I've become enamored of the Apple philosophy on design and ease of use. Why not have a closed system if it works so well it needs no expansion? So although this is not a Mac forum I have to say that the iPhone has caused a radical 180 degree shift in my thinking.

I must purchase a Mac ASAP. If the computing experience is anything like the iPhone experience I'm going to be kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
That was a good read, thanks! I agree with the entire thing from beginning to end, the Windows Mobile platform is great until you use the iPhone, and everything just WORKS! And to let you know, the computing experience with Apple is the same in my opinion.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
That was a good read, thanks! I agree with the entire thing from beginning to end, the Windows Mobile platform is great until you use the iPhone, and everything just WORKS! And to let you know, the computing experience with Apple is the same in my opinion.
yah same with me. I've liked Apple for a long time, but never really cared that much about their computers. Then I got an iPhone. Now all of a sudden I can't stop thinking about them! All I want for Christmas is a black MacBook because they are sooio awesome. Especially with leopard on its way =]

Holly

Jul 4, 2007
It's melted my Windows impregnated brain cells. Within the two weeks I've owned this phone I've become enamored of the Apple philosophy on design and ease of use. Why not have a closed system if it works so well it needs no expansion?

You might now appreciate the incredible frustration long time Mac users have when we are met with windows-only tech people at our workplaces or on some proprietary websites.

I had the eye opening experience of the Mac simplicity when I was dragged kicking and screaming from a PC to a Mac 20 years ago (yes - when hard drives were smaller than a floppy disk.)

I evangelized for a while, but have stopped b/c it's easier to let people discover on their own that easier computing, stable platforms and consistent software is ready and waiting for you in most Apple products.

However, I still have to grit my teeth and walk away when I hear a tech support expert say, "we don't support Macs." Grrrrr

Welcome to Macintosh computing... we are a very supportive group!

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Resistance is futile!

We are the new Borg Collective. Welcome!

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
Personality Shifts

The iPod caused my shift after 15 years with Windows and now the iPhone cemented it. No regrets.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was leaning the same way after I got the iPhone. However, nothing grabs attention more than my Tablet PC. I sit in meetings with my PC, taking notes, sending out emails as the thought strikes, and updating that all important spreadsheet. Then people what to know what I am doing "writing" on the screen. Take the action items and convert them to Outlook tasks, assign them to people and then go to lunch. I almost purchased a MacBook but, reconsidered when I got back to the Tablet. Love the iPhone, though.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
You have it all wrong!

I've been a Windows user since high school (A very very long time ago. As in, I was uncomfortable with a GUI over a DOS prompt. :)) Anyway, while lots of people often complain about the errors, glitches, software/hardware conflicts, etc... that are part and parcel of PC life, for me they were puzzles and challenges to be overcome. Every time I was able to get past one of these roadblocks I felt some strange sense of accomplishment. As I've grown older, though, more and more these things just annoy the crap out of me and I've recognized them for what they are: barriers to productivity. Productivity can be defined however you like: successfuly getting games and other programs to run properly is the endpoint though.

My PDAs and phones have been a similar journey. I owned an original Palm Pilot and still have notes on my current T/X that I entered on that antique device. While Palms may be a little less glitchy than Windows Mobile devices they still crash with some frequency. The more programs the more crashes. Don't even get me started on the various Treos I've owned. My last one crashed every time I was unable to answer the phone before the caller hung up. I wouldn't even own a Palm device anymore except that I have voluminous notes/memos/treatment algorithms on there that I developed throughout medical school and residency, and I also have Epocrates on there (a frequently updated drug information database which is invaluable in private practice.)

I have uniformly shunned any and all Apple computers that didn't have IIe after the logo (those are REALLY old Apples for you youngsters). They always seemed like pretend computers to me. You know, closed systems. No tinkering necessary. Waaayy to simplistic.

Then I got my iPhone. The ease of use, stability, and design of this device are just astounding. Now admittedly it lacks some features that I consider necessary, but more and more I'm able to overlook those things and look to the future when they may be implemented (new SDK release should fix things in a hurry).

The biggest problem with the iPhone? It's melted my Windows impregnated brain cells. Within the two weeks I've owned this phone I've become enamored of the Apple philosophy on design and ease of use. Why not have a closed system if it works so well it needs no expansion? So although this is not a Mac forum I have to say that the iPhone has caused a radical 180 degree shift in my thinking.

I must purchase a Mac ASAP. If the computing experience is anything like the iPhone experience I'm going to be kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago!

You have it all wrong. I was in the same thinking you are in when I got my iPhone. Then I realized something. This love of the iPhone and Apple in general has nothing to do with the ease of operation, or lack of crashes or anything like that. Steve Jobs has put a small chip in the iPhone that implants into your brain and makes you a spokesman for Apple, and the iPhone. It actually makes you a salesman, telling all your friends how amazing Apple is, and to buy their products.

I was a freakin iPhone hater until I touched one. I was so anti-iphone, saying it wasn't productive, no 3G blah blah blah..then I held one for about 20 minutes (enough time for chip to embed) and I walked up to the Apple counter and purchased one. I didn't even NEED one. I have a blackjack that my company pays for, and I still got the iPhone as my personal phone! Then I raved to all my friends to buy them, and they played around with my phone for and they all got them.

Steve Jobs is a Devil man! He made me into what I am today, a going to EIP forums daily addict of Apple products, and figuring out a way to justify the 2K I am going to spend on a mac book pro even though I have a Dell XPS gaming laptop. (-: Any suggestions on what to tell my better half when I walk in with a new Laptop I don't need would be helpful by the way. ;)

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
You have it all wrong. I was in the same thinking you are in when I got my iPhone. Then I realized something. This love of the iPhone and Apple in general has nothing to do with the ease of operation, or lack of crashes or anything like that. Steve Jobs has put a small chip in the iPhone that implants into your brain and makes you a spokesman for Apple, and the iPhone. It actually makes you a salesman, telling all your friends how amazing Apple is, and to buy their products.

I was a freakin iPhone hater until I touched one. I was so anti-iphone, saying it wasn't productive, no 3G blah blah blah..then I held one for about 20 minutes (enough time for chip to embed) and I walked up to the Apple counter and purchased one. I didn't even NEED one. I have a blackjack that my company pays for, and I still got the iPhone as my personal phone! Then I raved to all my friends to buy them, and they played around with my phone for and they all got them.

Steve Jobs is a Devil man! He made me into what I am today, a going to EIP forums daily addict of Apple products, and figuring out a way to justify the 2K I am going to spend on a mac book pro even though I have a Dell XPS gaming laptop. (-: Any suggestions on what to tell my better half when I walk in with a new Laptop I don't need would be helpful by the way. ;)
See this is exactly what I'm talking about! I don't need a new computer even remotely. But as soon as Leopard is out I'm going to have to get one. Even my wife (who also has a new iPhone) wants me to get one and she HATES it when I buy computers. It IS the Borg.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I would have to agree with Apples OS being a lot smoother.. Unfortunately Im still a Windows user due to the fact that I don't want to run a dual boot machine and pretty much a gamer. I was going to buy a Mac Bookpro, until I figured it would run around 3k.. lol.. So Im waiting for Apple to break out of the propietary hardware issue. Once(err IF ever) they do this, I'll jump OS's..

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
I was leaning the same way after I got the iPhone. However, nothing grabs attention more than my Tablet PC. I sit in meetings with my PC, taking notes, sending out emails as the thought strikes, and updating that all important spreadsheet. Then people what to know what I am doing "writing" on the screen. Take the action items and convert them to Outlook tasks, assign them to people and then go to lunch. I almost purchased a MacBook but, reconsidered when I got back to the Tablet. Love the iPhone, though.
Wow, imagine when Apple comes out with a tablet macbook. That would be insane. It would have the same ease of use as the iPhone. AMAZING!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Don't kick yourself too hard, but you do deserve a good kicking. Fortunately for you, if you do break something in the process you can patch yourself back up.

Like you, I remember the evolution of PC quite well... starting with my Trash 80 I got as a birthday gift from my Dad in 1983.

...yes, I still have the old 4k bugger.

I have owned Vic 20's, Apple II's, Macintosh (the original), Tandy, TI, Atari, PC's and most recently Mac's. I, like you, was a late bloomer. I really never took Mac's seriously until they made the jump to Intel. I've always worked with Mac's at the office, but did so begrudgingly. I never gave them a chance, I just did what I had to on them for work, then switched right back to my Windows machine.

I was foolish.

Now I have several Mac's and I've even purchased older G4 and G5 Mac's from my company since they no longer are used. I love Mac's. Once you give them a chance, you'll learn that they can do everything a PC can and much more. Yes, they can even run Windows XP natively now... if you have legacy applications that haven't been ported to OSX this is useful.

Yup, color me a Mac guy. I won't be buying any more PC's I don't believe.

PS As a side note, just one graphic icon on the desktop of my iPhone is larger in size than the TRS-80's memory (4k) could store. Now that's scary. :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I agree completely. Great to have something that just works.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I would have to agree with Apples OS being a lot smoother.. Unfortunately Im still a Windows user due to the fact that I don't want to run a dual boot machine and pretty much a gamer. I was going to buy a Mac Bookpro, until I figured it would run around 3k.. lol.. So Im waiting for Apple to break out of the propietary hardware issue. Once(err IF ever) they do this, I'll jump OS's..
Yeah, I'm a gamer too... but my next Mac will be my Gaming machine. I play mostly things like Half Life and Battlefield 2. The current generation of Core 2 Duo Extreme Mac's with their ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB will easily handle those games in XP. Yeah, you have to dual boot but for me that's no biggie. For everything else but games you can easily run XP in a window and for some games you can even run them in a window.

Example, here's me running Windows on top of OSX (that's an IE browser):

:) Fun stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Aren't the new MACs just a PC is disguise? But 10 times the cost?

MACformers.. PCs in disguise.

If the PC was so crap, why did Apple turn into DELL/HP wanna be?

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Aren't the new MACs just a PC is disguise? But 10 times the cost?

MACformers.. PCs in disguise.

If the PC was so crap, why did Apple turn into DELL/HP wanna be?
You really have no idea what you are talking about. The only similarities are the processors.

How are they a dell wanna be? Please enlighten me.

methcat

Sep 5, 2007
I have used PC's all of my life, and then when I got the iPhone, I thought I should get a mac too! I just got a macbok pro a week ago and I am IN LOVE with it! I still have my sony vaio and I've had to go on it to access a few files, but everytime I do I feel really annoyed because it starts/shuts down so much slower than the macbook, it's not as pretyt, it's big and clunky, and ahhhh the macbook pro is just so much better!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I've been lurking in the Apple stores for a pretty long time. Most of that time was part of my decision making process and the other was me just wanting to play; like the kid in the candy store.

I know absolutely nothing about macs, but with all the time I have spent playing, I should be an authority on it. :cool:

Now that I have an iPhone, its in me to just want to go ahead and do the full conversion to Mac(book).

In one weeks time, everything out of my mouth is Apple this and Apple that.

Now my only question is: Once Leopard is released, will MacBooks come preloaded with Leopard or Tiger?