reception improvement

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 25, 2007
I live in a basement apartment and I usually get no cell reception, and this was the case with my iPhone as well as my previous phone. I have noticed however that if I connect my iPhone to my computer and charge it the reception immediately jumps up to 3 or 4 bars, from zero to 1. So now I just connect my iPhone when I'm in my room and use the headphones to make or receive calls so it can stay plugged in and have increased reception.

This tip might be helpful to someone, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I was thinking that maybe with the increased power the phone is getting while charged it is able to boost the signal strength. does this seem possible?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I live in a basement apartment and I usually get no cell reception, and this was the case with my iPhone as well as my previous phone. I have noticed however that if I connect my iPhone to my computer and charge it the reception immediately jumps up to 3 or 4 bars, from zero to 1. So now I just connect my iPhone when I'm in my room and use the headphones to make or receive calls so it can stay plugged in and have increased reception.

This tip might be helpful to someone, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I was thinking that maybe with the increased power the phone is getting while charged it is able to boost the signal strength. does this seem possible?

My apartment gets lousy service as well...fortunately I have an outdoor space that gets perfect reception. Despite this, I have managed to find certains areas in my apartment that get good service and one of them is right where I charge iPhone. I will have to try this out when I get home but I really don't see why plugging in the phone would affect the signal at all...

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
it may have some affect as an antenna... because if that connection on the bottom has anything to do with connection it would gain range with any extended piece of wire such as the us cable.... it very well could be an area for connection seeing how the FM radio remote for the ipod hooked into it and enabled the radio function and depending where you moved the wire you would gain or lose reception like if it was balled up in my pocket i would have more static than if it was ran up and cliped to my shirt like an antenna...

Aug 10, 2007
I've actually been having a very positive experience with the iPhone's signal strength (knock on wood!) ... in my apt in Chicago, I have historically had a really spotty Cingular signal; I've used three different phones (Nokias, a Motorola, and a Blackberry), and my wife had a different Nokia on Cingular before getting totally tired of the signal problems and switching carriers.

Historically my experience in the apt is I have to use a headset and try and hold up the phone in certain places to be able to have a two-way conversation at all.

But since getting the iPhone, I've been able to walk around the apt while on a call without any dropped signal; I even managed to keep on a call while walking up the solid-concrete-and-steel stairwell in the middle of the building (!). Next I'll try making a call in the elevator...

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Over the past few weeks I have noticied my reception improoving noticibley in areas where it was poor. Also, I tried this power cable signal extender multiple times but it really does nothing at all......

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
I was able to get very good reception in a rural area only by connecting my iPhone to its charger. Where I couldn't get any reception at all without the charger, it lept to 3 bars with it. It's highly likely this is because of improved grounding.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Hmmm... I bet Apple actually planned ahead on that one.. Makes sense the more I think about it. They probably did put some sort of external antenna connection on the cable/phone for future expansion... for car kits for a example, even though the newer ones use bluetooth kits.. :sick: which is the way I would probably go.

cdfink08

Jul 17, 2007
I think this is the case for almost on all phone this happens on my 8125 and as well as my iPhone...I've also noticed wifi runs smoother when plugged into the wall outlet from what I can obtain I think when it gets more electricity from the wall outlet it acts as an amplifier for the radio cards I'm fairly sure of it....it makes sense just as if I plug in my laptop to the wall from using the battery my wifi strenght goes up as well as the brightness of the screen

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
My iPhone has better reception than my old phone (an Audiovox smartphone) ever did inside my house. The test for me will be when school goes back in session in a couple of weeks and I get to see if I'll have any signal in my office; my old phone spent the entire day *searching* if I didn't remember to turn it off when I got there. I'd be pretty happy if all I had to do to get it a signal in there was keep it plugged in...

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I think this is the case for almost on all phone this happens on my 8125 and as well as my iPhone...I've also noticed wifi runs smoother when plugged into the wall outlet from what I can obtain I think when it gets more electricity from the wall outlet it acts as an amplifier for the radio cards I'm fairly sure of it....it makes sense just as if I plug in my laptop to the wall from using the battery my wifi strenght goes up as well as the brightness of the screen
The screen getting brighter when you plug the laptop into the wall is due to a power scheme. Its designed that way to help you get the most out of your battery. I believe you can change it to stay that bright while operating off of battery, but would advise against it.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

your 100% right... i live in an apartment where reception is HORRIBLE, to the point where i cant even talk. i have to go to one of my randon inside hot spots where i get somewhat crappy service, or i have to go ooutside...

i used to notice on my old phone that when it was charging i got better reception and i have also been noticing that with my iPhone as well...

im being real serious when i say that i CANNOT talk on the phone without it dropping or terribly breaking up when in my room.. i just put it ont he charged, and plugged in the headphones.. and the call quality was excellent... next i will try with just the headphones, and just the charger.. and see if its the headphones that increases the signal strenght, or the charger.. or maybe both!