Reception on Long Island?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Boys and Ladies,

A question from someone who is still on Sprint, but will someday be an iPhone user:

How is AT&T reception on Long Island as compared to VZW and Sprint? Bear in mind that I've been equally happy with Sprint's coverage as I was with Verizon's since a made a switch about 4 years ago.

Thanks!

-Jeff

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well, I don't live on Long Island, but I want to remind your of the 30-day trial period. If the service is not good enough, then you can return the phone and cancel the contract without penalty.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Boys and Ladies,

A question from someone who is still on Sprint, but will someday be an iPhone user:

How is AT&T reception on Long Island as compared to VZW and Sprint? Bear in mind that I've been equally happy with Sprint's coverage as I was with Verizon's since a made a switch about 4 years ago.

Thanks!

-Jeff
It's okay, but it's not as good as either Sprint or Verizon. I definitely have my share of saying, "Can you hear me know?"

iPhone = Great
Service = so so

FYI: I'm in Nassau.

-Chris

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I'm in Nassau as well, both home and work, so that's particularly useful info.

Have you found that it's improved over time? I realize I may have to deal with mediocrity as far as coverage until Apple opens this up to other networks, but I guess I just want to know what I'm in for once I switch.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois

Have you found that it's improved over time? I realize I may have to deal with mediocrity as far as coverage until Apple opens this up to other networks, but I guess I just want to know what I'm in for once I switch.

The AT&T website also have a handy coverage veiwer map. With the map you can also see 3g coverage and such.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

It's more or less particular areas of coverage (or lack of coverage I should say). I'm on the Wantagh Parkway daily and there is a dead area right past Southern State. Reception in my house is okay, but at times I get drop outs. I can't say definitively if it's gotten better over time. It's by no means terrible, but not on par with the CDMA networks -- at least on LI.

I wouldn't see the service as a reason not to buy the iPhone. Again, not bad, but not on par with either VZW or Sprint.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
didn't steve say something about improved antenna with the iPhone 3g?

Maybe because of the plastic cover.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
The AT&T website also have a handy coverage veiwer map. With the map you can also see 3g coverage and such.

I've looked at that. They allege to have 3G coverage through most of Nassau, and certainly where I live and work. They allege to have plenty of voice coverage too, but we all know that what's claimed and real-world experience on the phone can diverge significantly.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
It's more or less particular areas of coverage (or lack of coverage I should say). I'm on the Wantagh Parkway daily and there is a dead area right past Southern State. Reception in my house is okay, but at times I get drop outs. I can't say definitively if it's gotten better over time. It's by no means terrible, but not on par with the CDMA networks -- at least on LI.

I wouldn't see the service as a reason not to buy the iPhone. Again, not bad, but not on par with either VZW or Sprint.
Thanks muchly! Again, good info to have.

Other dead spots? I remember many years ago when I had AT&T, before it was Cingular, that there was consistently a dead spot on the Northern State between Round Swamp Road and Route 110. Is that still the case?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

Other dead spots? I remember many years ago when I had AT&T, before it was Cingular, that there was consistently a dead spot on the Northern State between Round Swamp Road and Route 110. Is that still the case?
I've haven't been down that way since my days at Olympus.:p

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

I travel to long island about once a year, i grew up there and my family lives there. I was there 5 months ago and the reception was great in the deer park area of suffolk county (about 14 miles from route 110).
I used my iPhone quite a bit, surfing the web and many calls, and haven't had one dropped call. Im sure with a 3G iPhone its even better.