Recessed headphone jack was absolutely necessary

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
For those complaining about the recessed headphone jack not fitting standard headphones, please be aware that the headphone jack HAD to be recessed to be able to maintain the shape and thin design of the phone. Look closely at your iPhone's headphone jack, especially the side of the jack that is nearest to the back of the iPhone. Notice how the back part of the jack is less than a millimeter from awkwardly sticking up out of the iPhone owing the roundedness of the back of the iPhone? This might be kind of hard to see, I know, but it makes sense if you know what you're looking at.

The only way that Apple could have avoided having a recessed headphone jack would have been to:

1. Make the iPhone have sharp square edges all around the sides so that the headphone jack could be flush with the top of the phone.
2. Make the iPhone at least half a centimeter thicker so that the headphone jack could be pulled up a little more without awkwardly sticking out.

Are these sacrifices really worth it to be able to have a headphone jack that fits third party headphones? I don't think so and I personally am glad Apple did what they did and decided to maintain the iPhone rounded and thin and sleek. I'll settle with an adapter.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
No excuse. Aesthetic value should not trump functionality. The iPhone is an ipod, and should fit every single headphone jack on the market.

I cant believe how some people will defend Apple soo much, when they clearly could use some serious improvements.

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
I really wouldn't have been bothered if that one spot wasn't flush with the rest of the phone... I've been waiting and waiting for them to release a nice adapter and still nothing the belkin one is an insult considering how easy it is to make a jack adapter...I've looked at the ones on ebay but I just don't' feel like they will last or will damper sound quality so I'm waiting for an Apple branded one or the griffin one that is still not released.

megaphore

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I bought my first one from ebay and then bought another from a paid ad on google search and the white ones are Apple all the way. They come sealed in white plastic just like all the Apple accessories that come with an ipod and the sound quality is great on my Shure e2c's. They don't have 3 notches like the original iPhone headphones/headset but neither does the Belkin adapter. They are much more flexible and are hardly noticeable if you hook a white corded set of headphones into them. I wish them came in black though to match my e2c's.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
id rather the phone look a little less attractive than have a giant 2" penis like adapter sticking out of the phone, or having to risk ruining my $200 headphones (which ive yet to do) to razorblade the rubber off.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
id rather the phone look a little less attractive than have a giant 2" penis like adapter sticking out of the phone, or having to risk ruining my $200 headphones (which ive yet to do) to razorblade the rubber off.

come on dog was that comment necessary...kill the foolishness man...people on this forum like myself do have morals you know...keep it professional man...dag!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
For those complaining about the recessed headphone jack not fitting standard headphones, please be aware that the headphone jack HAD to be recessed to be able to maintain the shape and thin design of the phone. Look closely at your iPhone's headphone jack, especially the side of the jack that is nearest to the back of the iPhone. Notice how the back part of the jack is less than a millimeter from awkwardly sticking up out of the iPhone owing the roundedness of the back of the iPhone? This might be kind of hard to see, I know, but it makes sense if you know what you're looking at.

The only way that Apple could have avoided having a recessed headphone jack would have been to:

1. Make the iPhone have sharp square edges all around the sides so that the headphone jack could be flush with the top of the phone.
2. Make the iPhone at least half a centimeter thicker so that the headphone jack could be pulled up a little more without awkwardly sticking out.

Are these sacrifices really worth it to be able to have a headphone jack that fits third party headphones? I don't think so and I personally am glad Apple did what they did and decided to maintain the iPhone rounded and thin and sleek. I'll settle with an adapter.
yeah man i noticed the recessed headphone jack...i aint got no praughlm wit it...its standard 3.5mm...dats cool...that means most headphones fit into it right?...i just posted a topic about the belkin v-r...not so sure if it will wk w/iPhone due to the recessed...

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Drivel. They could have made an the socket flush with the casing if they wanted. Honestly, praising a design fault just makes you look stupid.

Jul 12, 2007

I agree with this, but there's another reason. Remember that "jacks" are a PCB mounted component and is often the first thing to break on devices of this type. The PC Board (PCB) stress of connecting, removing devices and using the peripheral (in a pocket or backpack, etc.) can often break the jack's connections and cause the peripheral or device itself to cease function. Apple's decision to recess it allows the device to remain thin (much thinner than the comparable IPOD - and remember it cannot ever be thinner than the jack/connector itself) and allow's the chassis/shell of the iPhone to provide additional support to the connector and jack as the connector fits snugly, slightly recessed into the chassis. Remember that the design decision to do this is actually something to be thankful for relative to the longevity the device is likely to have.

Now, that is completely negated by the fact that legacy headphones require an adaptor that immediately adds additional stress to that jack via it's sheer length and bulkiness.... so, it was also an effort by Apple to stimulate the sale of headphones that do not require the adaptor. Thankfully, those of us who have expensive headphones like the Shure E4c's, can purchase an adaptor made by the manufacturer of the headphones that will not have the problems of the Apple adaptor.

Lee

direktor

Jun 26, 2007
It's strain relief. Plain and simple.

Obviously that jack, in that place, with the underlying boards as they are, need it.

If you've ever had to re-solder a headphone jack to a circuit board before, you know what I'm talking about.

TLP31

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
My first thought about this also was that it was to protect against breakage. The ring around the headphone jack was a common failure of the 4 & 5G iPods...remember?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I originally thought it was to protect the jack from damage--and that may indeed by the case. But then I read reports of a few cases of the jack getting "stuck" (device acts like headset is inserted when it's not).

Stuck jacks sound like mechanical switches, as opposed to electronic, and if they are mechanical that would suck IMO. Anyone know for sure?

--
Mike

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
quit the pettiness

No excuse. Aesthetic value should not trump functionality. The iPhone is an ipod, and should fit every single headphone jack on the market.

I cant believe how some people will defend Apple soo much, when they clearly could use some serious improvements.

What are you complaining about? Apple gives you headphones with every iPhone! I could see if they didn't, but come on! Also, those headphones serve a specialized purpose...they come with the button which answers calls, or skips to the next song.

I am surprised by all the petty negativity about the iPhone. It is aestheticaly pleasing as well as functional. It's a piece of modern art as I say.

Fred

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
wow people are quick on calling one a Apple fanboy for just making a statement that complete makes sense, its either you are stupid for defending it or for bashing the iPhone. I personally love the iPhone's headphone and think they are of the highest quality. And if the recessed headphone jack was necessary to make it less likely to breakdown and I've it a slimmer design then I'm all for it.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This kind of loyalty in the face of simple logic is new to me... I guess that's because I'm new to Apple. There are numerous ways to change a design to fix such a problem while maintaining aesthetics, if you do it early enough in the design process. Failing that, they should have at least shipped the thing with a (small) adapter since it is, as others have said.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I agree with this, but there's another reason. Remember that "jacks" are a PCB mounted component and is often the first thing to break on devices of this type. ... etc snipped
Good thought, except that in the iPhone, the headphone jack is NOT soldered to a PCB, but is mounted on the rear case via a flexible cable.

So all the arguments about it making it "less likely to breakdown" are moot.

Last edited by a moderator: