Record phone calls?

Nov 26, 2007
Am I losing my mind, I may be mistaken, but is there REALLY not a new app that can record phone conversations?

I sure would love one if anyone knows.........

Also I know there are a few, anyone have a better experience with any apps that track your daily intake of protein, carbs, calories, etc?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
As to your first question,there isn't an app that can record conversations. I am not a lawyer, but I would think there might be some legal issues with something like this unless the person on the other line knew he/she was being recorded.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes, in some states recording phone calls is illegal unless both parties know the recording is taking place. That's why when you call customer service representatives they always have a recording saying that all or part of the phone conversation may be recorded.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I was wishing for this earlier today. But even without the law, I don't think it's ever going to be possible. For one thing you can't run the recording app in the background while you run the phone app. Another thing, the recording app would have to have access to the phone functions and I don't thing Apple allows that kind of access.

The only hope we have to getting this is an app for jailbroken phones.

There was a jailbreak app that allowed you to spoof your phone number. As a bonus it allowed you to record your conversations if you used the right service.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I was wishing for this earlier today. But even without the law, I don't think it's ever going to be possible. For one thing you can't run the recording app in the background while you run the phone app. Another thing, the recording app would have to have access to the phone functions and I don't thing Apple allows that kind of access.

The only hope we have to getting this is an app for jailbroken phones.

There was a jailbreak app that allowed you to spoof your phone number. As a bonus it allowed you to record your conversations if you used the right service.
Nope it's definitely possible. SpoofApp, a program for the 1.1.4 jailbroken iPhones, had an option to record the conversation. Worked extremely well, actually.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Nope it's definitely possible. SpoofApp, a program for the 1.1.4 jailbroken iPhones, had an option to record the conversation. Worked extremely well, actually.
Cheese. You people need to read. I quote from my post, that you quoted but didn't read...

"The only hope we have to getting this is an app for jailbroken phones."

I even talked about the same spoof app that you did.

Nov 26, 2007
There is actually only 12 states in the us that require 2 party consent to legally record a conversation. All the others only require 1 (you), its a shame they haven't come out with something like that yet.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Do you have a list of those 12 states?

EDIT:
According to this website:
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

Only 11.

Aug 25, 2008
I was wishing for this earlier today. But even There was a jailbreak app that allowed you to spoof your phone number. As a bonus it allowed you to record your conversations if you used the right service.

SpoofApp is now available for iPhone firmware 2.x.
http://www.spoofapp.com/

In my opinion SpoofApp is not a very good option for iPhone users that are simply wanting to record conversations on-the-fly. With SpoofApp the call must originate through their app (and be routed through their phone servers) so basically you need to plan in advance if you want to record a call. SpoofApp also charges you a fee for each call that you make through their service.

What I want is a button that I can hit during a conversation so I can start recording it. So when someone is giving me a phone number or directions I can simply record it and play it back after I hang up.

If someone figures out a way to do this it will certainly not be an app available through the Apple store.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I can't imagine why anyone would want to to this except for maybe Blackmail.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Umm... any number of reasons. How about you have a phone interview and you want to have a record to see where you went wrong or how you follow up.

Who cares why people want/need something. When they say they need it, then don't ask questions. Just give it to them without judgment.

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
You should listen to a conversation with me and the Ex-wife....

I would love to have a phone app to record our conversations. I am sure the family judge would love to hear some of the crap spewing out of her mouth...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Can you share the name of these apps? Even jailbreak apps would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
Lots of times my wife will put my 2.5 year old son on the phone w/ me and it would be cool to have some of those 'conversations' to listen back to, lol.

Aug 31, 2008
You should post this idea on sonnybunny.com here
I bet he will make it for you for FREE

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 16, 2008
I'm going to use this to record a convo with Apple tech support. A friend who is one of the most hardcore Apple fanboy's I've ever met won't believe that I've had 3 Apple techs tell me flat out that they arn't trained in windows. Of course he's the same idiot that thinks the drivers that Apple installs with iTunes must be better than the default manufacturer drivers, since they come from Apple and they supposedly do there research. HA! iTunes 8 installs the craptastic gear drivers which then make my cd rom driver not even show up in windows. Thanks Apple.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'm going to use this to record a convo with Apple tech support. A friend who is one of the most hardcore Apple fanboy's I've ever met won't believe that I've had 3 Apple techs tell me flat out that they arn't trained in windows. Of course he's the same idiot that thinks the drivers that Apple installs with iTunes must be better than the default manufacturer drivers, since they come from Apple and they supposedly do there research. HA! iTunes 8 installs the craptastic gear drivers which then make my cd rom driver not even show up in windows. Thanks Apple.
Welcome to the forums!