Recording Phone Calls

Dec 18, 2008
hey all

is it possible to record phone calls while using the iPhone. as in, i call my friend and i wanna record the convo, can i do that?

if so, how?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
hey all

is it possible to record phone calls while using the iPhone. as in, i call my friend and i wanna record the convo, can i do that?

if so, how?
I don't think there is an application because this would be an invasion of privacy. This might be against the law...

Jul 24, 2008
I agree. Does the term wiretapping come to mind.:p
It sounds like it should be illegal, but in most states it's actually not, as one of the parties being recorded agrees to be recorded( in this case the agreeing party would be the iPhone owner).

Personally I think it would be a cool app.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
It sounds like it should be illegal, but in most states it's actually not, as one of the parties being recorded agrees to be recorded( in this case the agreeing party would be the iPhone owner).

Personally I think it would be a cool app.
There is no way that is true. If it is, then wouldn't wire tapping being completely since the one side knows about it?
That has got to be an invasion of privacy?

EDIT::
After a search I guess you are correct. I do not understand it though.
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

Jul 24, 2008
There is no way that is true. If it is, then wouldn't wire tapping being completely since the one side knows about it?
That has got to be an invasion of privacy?

EDIT::
After a search I guess you are correct. I do not understand it though.
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm
I had just looked up several websites and was ready to post links for support of my original post, but it looks like you beat me to it. I think where the line is crossed into illegal "wire tapping" in most states is when a conversation between two parties is being recorded by a third party. So if you and I were having a Private conversation on the phone but someone else, say a government agency or even my nosey neighbor decided to tap in and listen it would be illegal. Here is a link that for the state by state laws.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html

While I think it would be a cool app I do agree that it would ever gain approval by the Apple app-n-a-z-i-s.... NO VIDEO FOR YOU! NO MMS FOR YOU! and NO PHONE RECORDER FOR YOU! (only the seinfeld fans will get that last part)

Jan 8, 2009
There is a app out for just that, its only on the Android Market though. My buddy showed it to me, he uses it to record the conversation between him and his ex, I think its wrong, but the woman is a exception to that, she is always threating him, so for some occasions i can see it being a good thing. So it wont be long before someone makes it for the iPhone.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
illegal to develop such app to record, but we can use some 3rd party equipement to do so. maybe some micro bluetooth recorder can be made by your own hand. certainly, it's sorta legal for your personal uses, right?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Spoofapp (cydia) allows you to record phone calls. Its primary purpose is to change your voice and spoof caller id, but it can also let you record calls. It's a service that costs money though.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You can also record through a connection to a stereo from the headphone jack.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
how is that possible? can u post a procedure to do it please
It's simple enough, You need a 3.5mm jack to go from the phone to a RCA left and right channel setup. Then just plug it into your AUX for the stereo, put a blank tape in the cassette recorder, hit record and make your call.
You will hear it through the speakers, but because the 3.5mm jack does not have a connection for the mic to be bypassed, the mic on the bottom of the phone is used. Everything should be recorded.

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
You can also record through a connection to a stereo from the headphone jack.
Not sure this would work, only because I don't know how you would talk back to the other person...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I think it's a great idea and can't see any b.s. reason why it should be illegal. If everybody thought everyone was recording every phone call, they's be careful what they say, wouldn't they? No more lying and threatening and what not. I feel the same way about gun laws, also. If everyone carried around a hand gun like in the wild west, everybody would be careful about what they the hell they say and do, right? A better world, if you ask me. As it stands, only the thugs are the ones carring around guns now...
You can walk right into any Radio Shack in America and buy a recording microhone for recording conversations on a phone for under $10. Illegal? You guys don't know what you're talking about...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The U.S. federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most have also extended the law to cover in-person conversations. 38 states and the D.C. permit recording telephone conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.
12 states require, under most circumstances, the consent of ALL parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.
It is illegal under all jurisdictions to record calls in which one is not a party.
A complete state-by-state set of regulations regarding telephone call recording may be obtained in the following report published by The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press:
http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html