Recording voicemail messages from iPhone

excellrec

Jan 7, 2008
Hi everyone. I'm working on a recording project and am planning on using messages that people have recorded on my iPhone on th project. Unfortunately neither the headphone output or the line output on the dock seems to want to output the audio from the voicemail messages when i play them. Is that right? I presumed at least the headphones would. I'm just wondering if there's anyway to get messages off my phone without using a 3rd party application or without having to stick a mic up to the speakers of the phone. Thanks in advance for any help. It's very much appreciated.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hi everyone. I'm working on a recording project and am planning on using messages that people have recorded on my iPhone on th project. Unfortunately neither the headphone output or the line output on the dock seems to want to output the audio from the voicemail messages when i play them. Is that right? I presumed at least the headphones would. I'm just wondering if there's anyway to get messages off my phone without using a 3rd party application or without having to stick a mic up to the speakers of the phone. Thanks in advance for any help. It's very much appreciated.

For the cable (which has a special chip that iPhone reads) it will costs $49 and is from Apple. Maybe you could rig up an old set of earplugs and plug in to record on the computer.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
excellrec,

You should be able to take a 3.5mm patch cord and place one end in the iPhone audio and the other in your recording device.

NOTE: you may need to buy the heaphone adapter to make sure the patch cord seats correctly in the iPhone, or you can alternatively "cut down" the cord end to fit into the iPhone.

excellrec

Jan 7, 2008
ok, so should there be audio coming out of the line-out from the dock while messages are playing too? Someone mentioned a cord needs to have a chip in it? I will probably just hack apart my iheadphones and make a cord out of them because I'm not particularly fond of them.. but then I can't use regular headphones for the iPhone.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ok, so should there be audio coming out of the line-out from the dock while messages are playing too? Someone mentioned a cord needs to have a chip in it? I will probably just hack apart my iheadphones and make a cord out of them because I'm not particularly fond of them.. but then I can't use regular headphones for the iPhone.

Forget the dock, just use the phone.

excellrec

Jan 7, 2008
alright. I solved the problem. I happened to have a 1/8" plug that I was able to hack up a bit to allow it to fit into the phone. Once I got it in there a bit it worked. Thanks for the help everyone.