Recovering data from dead iPhone 4

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
My iPhone 4 went completely dead yesterday. It wouldn't take a charge, nothing it just died. I took it to the Apple store and they pronounced it dead. I had recently backed it up when I installed iOS5. My question is, is it possible to recover the photos and videos that resided on it. And does anybody know where the backed up files reside? I'm eligible for an upgrade Nov 11.

Any suggestions?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My iPhone 4 went completely dead yesterday. It wouldn't take a charge, nothing it just died. I took it to the Apple store and they pronounced it dead. I had recently backed it up when I installed iOS5. My question is, is it possible to recover the photos and videos that resided on it. And does anybody know where the backed up files reside? I'm eligible for an upgrade Nov 11.

Any suggestions?
Did you use iCloud? You're pictures should be backed up on the cloud.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Well before iCloud it lived in your Library if i'm not mistaken, now i think it depends on whether you back up to your computer or iCloud . If i'm wrong someone will correct me lol
Yep, you're right. You have to choose whether you want to backup to the cloud or to your computer. I've picked the cloud. It's safer :p

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've picked the cloud too and external hard drive and time machine lol You can never have enough backups of all your crap :D
I feel exactly the same, the cloud is a good place to keep your data safely and easily. I also use a 1TB HD for my TimeMachine backups. I'll be moving my TM to a 2TB HD soon, though as I'm running out of space.

The last couple of weeks I've finally managed to put all my photo's and music and film collection into one place (only because I bought an ATV2). It's much easier now... just need more space.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Though since the OP was previously using iPhone 4, the current backup to restore from will still be in iTunes.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I feel exactly the same, the cloud is a good place to keep your data safely and easily. I also use a 1TB HD for my TimeMachine backups. I'll be moving my TM to a 2TB HD soon, though as I'm running out of space.

The last couple of weeks I've finally managed to put all my photo's and music and film collection into one place (only because I bought an ATV2). It's much easier now... just need more space.
My EHD is 1TB too - wonder when i'll run out of space lol