Red dots on iPhone 3G

ritzthekracker

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys I just got my iPhone 3g replaced at the local Apple store with a refurb and i noticed on the top left portion of the screen there are 3 round red circles. Is this normal or did i get a defective iPhone replacement. I never noticed it on my original v1 or original 3g so was not sure if this is normal or not.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
if you're talking about the 3 right next to the piece, then yes, it's normal. They're just sensors.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Hey guys I just got my iPhone 3g replaced at the local Apple store with a refurb and i noticed on the top left portion of the screen there are 3 round red circles. Is this normal or did i get a defective iPhone replacement. I never noticed it on my original v1 or original 3g so was not sure if this is normal or not.
They are sensors for automatic screen brightness feature and for the "turn-off-the-screen-when-put-against-your-face" feature when using the phone.

MAdMike

Aug 28, 2008
I'm not sure they are used to detect the side of your face but they surely are normal.

The phone actually will go black in anticipation of the event and relights upon detection of motion.

MadMike

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I'm not sure they are used to detect the side of your face but they surely are normal.

The phone actually will go black in anticipation of the event and relights upon detection of motion.

MadMike
LOL, it's a proximity sensor and it detect the presense of a nearby object (as in your head) there are 2, which turns the screen off.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

MadMike
mlass is correct, there is no "anticipation". That would make using the keypad hard to use during a call woulnd't it!? :laugh2:

it actually does detect an object (your head/face)

MAdMike

Aug 28, 2008
you are correct ofcourse...I hate when that happens, but there are Infact 3 red dots.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
maybe a picture would help. If they are pixels, you should have never left the store like that.
If they are looking to be about 2mm in diameter and look faint or "under" the glass, then they are sensors.
Anything else would require a picture to help people better understand you.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
maybe a picture would help.
Here's a photo of my iPhone 3G's sensors. There are a total of three. You need to view them on your phone under a bright light or in very bright daylight.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ritzthekracker

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys thanks for all the replies, the sad part is that the genius at the Apple store didn't even know this was normal and replaced my 3g with a new one, which i don't mind at all since my old one had a scratch on it which was bothering me.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey guys thanks for all the replies, the sad part is that the genius at the Apple store didn't even know this was normal and replaced my 3g with a new one, which i don't mind at all since my old one had a scratch on it which was bothering me.
Hee honestly didn't know? Wow, that is disturbing!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Hee honestly didn't know? Wow, that is disturbing!
Yeah, "genius" is just another misleading Apple tactic. ;)

Seriously, not all employees Apple stores are geniuses. They are knowledgeable in many areas, but it's difficult, at best, to be deep in every area, in every product.

sp1d3y

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
Good to hear- Never noticed them before either and just got the 3G-S and was like what the....

Dodge

Dec 21, 2009
Shrinked screen

the first time I noticed the three red dots sometimes the screen shrinks to about 2mm...is this normal?