Redneck's Bad Parking Job Thread

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
What the "knock on wood" for? (confused)

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app
In short, the "knock on wood" expression is used to avoid jinx. Meaning that by me saying it's a nice car it could jinx it, so saying "knock on wood" makes you avoid that. Sorry, it's a tradition we have in Egypt, and I thought you use that in the States as well?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
From Wiki ...

Knocking on wood, and the spoken expression "knock on wood," are used to express a desire to avoid "tempting fate" after making some boast or speaking of one's own death. In the United Kingdom, Egypt, Ireland, India, Australia, France, Hong Kong, [Singapore] and Sweden, the term "touch wood" is used. The expression is usually used in the hope that a good thing will continue to occur after it has been acknowledged. So, for example, one might say: "The rain looks like it's holding off, knock on wood," or "Knock on wood, I'm much better now." Another example would be "I have never had to use my gun before, knock on wood."

In other countries, such as Spain, it is traditional to literally touch wood after an event occurs that is supposed to bring bad luck, such as crossing paths with a black cat or walking under a ladder or noticing its Friday the 13th. This is usually done when there's no salt nearby to spill over your shoulder, which is considered the "traditional" way of avoiding the bad luck caused by those situations.

Early cultures ascribed spiritual or magical properties to living materials, perceiving life as an investment of divine or mystical energy and associating the spirits of plants and trees with Nymphs, Fauns and other mythical representations.[1] A living material cut then dies - whether leather or wood, the magical and mystical quality property is lost. Emptied of spirit, such materials were seen as potential vessels for spirits of less beneficial form - fae seen as tricksters and tormenters of mankind, such as Puck from William Shakespeare's play depicting common beliefs of the time.[2] A physical striking sound against this dead vessel material was hoped to drive away any malevolent spirits that might have overheard a spoken reference to misfortune - thus protecting the speaker.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
In short, the "knock on wood" expression is used to avoid jinx. Meaning that by me saying it's a nice car it could jinx it, so saying "knock on wood" makes you avoid that. Sorry, it's a tradition we have in Egypt, and I thought you use that in the States as well?
Well I knew what it meant :) I use it a lot. I was just wondering why you said nice car, knock on wood. I see now lol

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Doing something more than just taking a picture of one of their cars:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not my car. I'd love to see the guy's reaction and watch him crawl in through the passenger door, though.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
But the person that did the pinning also pinned their driver door. And they went out of their way to use that side because they backed-in...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You could park with your passenger door blocking them and preserve the principle.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
You could park with your passenger door blocking them and preserve the principle.
When I see some park on the line or over it. I still park next to them and put my passenger side right next to there drivers side so they have to get back into there car on passengers side. I then write their license plate number on a sticky and stick it to my passengers window so then can see it. Makes them think twice about parking like that again and doing something retaliatory to my car.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The supposed originator of that photo said his girlfriend was also in the car at the time, and he didn't want his parking rage to inconvenience her.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
But the person that did the pinning also pinned their driver door. And they went out of their way to use that side because they backed-in...
Well, that is, assuming they drive on the right. :)

Michael

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You mean on the left?

But if they drove on the right, then neither door would be pinned, and there would be no point.