Redsn0w and Mac

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
are you pressing the alt+restore buttton (it opens up a box) then searching for the nice custom firmware redsn0w made?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yes. to confirm the file I have is: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw

It prepares to restore for quite some time then says it cannot restore!
What FW are you on at present? did you update to 3.0 before trying the Jailbreak?

If all else fails, just use the Pwnage tool. Thats what i used. Worked for me :laugh2:

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
What FW are you on at present? did you update to 3.0 before trying the Jailbreak?

If all else fails, just use the Pwnage tool. Thats what i used. Worked for me :laugh2:
Yes, 3.0. I did use PT first, but it ran really slow and was buggy. My wife wants hers JB so I thought I would try RS on mine first and then do hers on her PC.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I haven't tried redsn0w yet. I've been far to busy customizing my phone. I'v just got it how i want it so i'm not sure i'm ready to use redsn0w yet.

I'd stick with the pwn tool.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yes. to confirm the file I have is: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw

It prepares to restore for quite some time then says it cannot restore!

You're trying to apply the Pwnage process to Redsnow. It's completely different.

Just restore to 3.0 using iTunes - the proper firmware not a custom one.

Remove your iPhone.

Then run redsnow and point it to the same IPSW.

Then connect your iPhone, turn it off, follow the timers to get it to DFU and let Redsn0w it do it's stuff.

Rdsn0w DOES NOT create a custom firmware like Pwnage.

I've found doing it this way has minimal lag compared to Pwnage (though that may be an illusion) and is much quicker.

Oh, and to answer to original quetions, Yes i've done it on a Mac.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've just restored back to stock and i'm going to give redsn0w a go. I'm just going to see if it's do-able. The guide on iclarified seems to be ok and detailed. I'll let you guys know and i'll post when it's done.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
I've just restored back to stock and i'm going to give redsn0w a go. I'm just going to see if it's do-able. The guide on iclarified seems to be ok and detailed. I'll let you guys know and i'll post when it's done.
I was able to get it up for a bit, but had issues. After 5 restores, I gave up and went back to Pwn tool. No problems since. Twice I had issues with Cydia, not able to DL apps. Twice I had no phone service. So far my JB with PT has been flawless. I hope you have better luck than I did.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've just performed the jailbreak. I couldn't for the life of me get the phone into DFU mode through the redsn0w app so i used the pwnage tool- luckily it worked. So i'm all up and running.. i guess. Lets see if there are any problems.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Well, after a few days using the redsn0w version of the jailbreak, i've got to say that-
I'm not at all impressed. My phone drops calls. Speech whilst on the phone is all crackly. Cydia hardly ever loads. The overall stability just doesn't feel right. My battery, don't have a clue why, runs out rapidly, it's like i've been on the phone all day and i've got like 20% battery left. Shocked. It may just be my iPhones battery-

Since i've used redsn0w, i've had nothing but issues.

I'm going to restore and re-jailbreak using the Pwnage Tool.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
After going back to pwnage tool, I have been up for a couple days now, and while things are a little slower, it seems pretty stable. I had nothing but issues with redsn0w.