Redsnow 0.8 crash and no unlock selection

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I have 2 V1 iPhones that have been factory restored using 3.0.1 Ipsw. I point redsnow to the 3.0 ipsw and get through the DFU step. Redsnow asks only if I want cydia or icy but nothing about unlock. How do I get unlock?

To make things worse, while the iPhone is rebooting, redsnow crashes. This happens on two WinXp machines and 2 iPhones.

Can anyone offer help on preventing the redsnow crash?
Can you tell me what I need to do to get unlock choice to appear?

Thanks in advance.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i can tell you that you need to use ultrasn0w to unlock that is within cydia as for the crash i get it to on a windows vista trying to JB a iPod touch v2...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
On mine the unlock was within Redsn0w for the 2G iPhone. I didn't use or install cydia on one of my 2G iPhones.

Are you sure you are pointing it at 3.0 for 2G and not 3.0 for 3G?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Are you sure you are pointing it at 3.0 for 2G and not 3.0 for 3G?
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! What a dumbass mistake. :sneaky:

I was sure I was pointing it at the right image, but alas no. I was using the iPhone2,1_3.0.1 instead of the iPhone1,1_3.0.1 file. I grabbed the correct file and will try again. You must be psychic. :eek:k:eek:k

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Success

Using the correct file <ahem> all three options (cydia, icy and unlock) appeared. The first time through, though, the process hung at "waiting for reboot". The screen on the phone never went white the first time. I tried again, and the screen went white at or near the point where the "waiting for reboot" appears in redsnow.

I think it probably has something to do with not holding the home button long enough in the last part of putting it into DFU mode. It's really hard to read the screen and press the buttons so as to stay in sync with the countdown. :sneaky: Maybe it's just 'cause I'm old. :dft008:surprised

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Once it's jailbroken, install ultrasn0w through Cydia to unlock.
Here are the directions.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now
Is this step necessary if the unlock check box was selected in the redsnow jailbreak process? Sorry If I'm being thick but I've never unlocked before and don't know how to tell if it was successful. These phones are not in use, I plan to sell them.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From my understanding (and I've only unlocked one V1 phone in my time), ultrasn0w is for 3G iPhones. For V1, the unlock that is an option at the point of jailbreaking with Redsn0w is all you should need.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
From my understanding (and I've only unlocked one V1 phone in my time), ultrasn0w is for 3G iPhones. For V1, the unlock that is an option at the point of jailbreaking with Redsn0w is all you should need.
Thank you, sir!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yes, you don't need ultrasn0w. It's not meant for the 2G.

And, somewhat unbelievably (I've tried it and it works), if the process hangs at waiting for reboot, a rapid unplug and re-plug of the USB cable will sort it!

And I've just made 'Evangelist'! Woo Hoo.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I did try the unplug replug a few times. It had no effect. Luckily the behavior was better the second time around.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't read carefuly enough and missed the part where you said it was a V1.