RedSnow success on iPhone 2G?

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Hi guys,

Please report your success / failure using redsnow on 2G iPhone for jailbreaking and unlocking.

I read on another post that the phones were not displaying any network after restarting. Anyone else face a similar problem?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Worked fine on my V1. I updated to 3.0 via iTunes, then ran redsn0w and it works no problem.

Of course I can't prove this because my V1 is now deactivated in favor of my 3GS, but it does work and it's very easy to use.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I used redsnow and jailbroke/unlocked my 2g with 3.0 this afternoon. Everything worked fine. Although I don't have a sim from another carrier to check the unlock.

I made some calls and texts etc all working fine. Then I activated my 3gs so I cant test it anymore.

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
No problems here as far as the actual JB process is concerned.

That being said, I have noticed that it's not particularly as stable as previous versions were.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Can someone explain the difference between all the sn0ws? I'm gonna unlock my v1 and I don't know which is the best way. Thanks

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Can someone explain the difference between all the sn0ws? I'm gonna unlock my v1 and I don't know which is the best way. Thanks
I used redsnow 0.7.1 on my v1 iPhone. (apparently 0.7.2 has been released since)

Just make sure you have the ipsw for 3.0, and the necessary bootloader files (3.9 and 4.6) to unlock the phone, and it's as easy as following an on screen guide. (almost identical to quickpwn.)

It is also recommended to restore to 3.0 through iTunes first, before actually going though with the JB process.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well what's the difference between them? Sounds like pwnage tool and quickpwn. Why are there different versions?

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Well what's the difference between them? Sounds like pwnage tool and quickpwn. Why are there different versions?

I honestly have no idea. Maybe one unlocks 3G and one unlocks 2G?

EDIT: It appears that the different versions indeed have to do with unlocking the different versions of the phone.

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I don't think pwnage tool and quickpwn are able to jailbreak/unlock the 3.0 firmware yet. Hence the new release - Red Snow.

Just waiting for some more positive feedback before i dive in to use Redsnow :)

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Success!

I did it! Successfuly unlocked and jailbroke my 2g iPhone using RedSnow. Although its not as pain free as its made out to be. Was not told before to keep the 3.0 ipsw file and bootloader files ready before starting the process, so had some anxious moments as I could'nt locate the files on my computer because i had restored through iTunes. However, i found them on the internet and downloaded them again. Thankfully it worked! Now lets see if 3.0 was worth the effort :laugh2:

evil_ryu

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
i did mine last night with no problems JB and unlocked on my 1V...

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I did mine on monday, V1 with 3.0. Worked no problem. I didn't install iciy though because I never liked installer before anyway.