Reduce backlight to near-zero to conserve battery charge while listening to videos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you have ever wanted only to listen to a video on YouTube (for example, a relaxation video to help you sleep, where the video will not be watched) you may have realized that, while you can lower the backlight using Control Center, the backlight is still unnecessarily bright.

You can actually lower the backlight to a near-zero setting using only built-in iOS features.

To do this, first go to Settings > General > Accessibility and toggle Zoom to On, if it isn't already.

Then, when you've got the intended video already playing, double-tap with three fingers.

You'll see this menu:

IMG_2218.PNG

Tap on Choose Filter, then tap on Low Light.

Your screen will dim significantly. Now, bring up the Control Center and lower the brightness to the minimum using the slider.

You should now be barely able to see your screen, because your backlight is at a near-zero level, and using as little battery as possible while you listen to the video. Simply do everything in reverse to go back to normal.

Credit to @Ledsteplin who showed me how to access this menu via Accessibility!

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Or you could just start the video and lock your iPhone. YouTube now allows audio playback when the phone is locked. Where have you been? :D

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Looks like an iPhone to me.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just tried it from Safari, which is what I use for YouTube videos, but it didn't work. I'm assuming I need the YouTube app. It's worth downloading for those who are going to be doing this often. Much easier than my method.

Thank you for the tip!

#5 Rafagon, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a case where I will use an app. There's no way I would go through the hassle of doing everything you described and then reversing the steps when I'm done when I can just lock the screen and continue listening with an app.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I meant where he had been and spends most of his time.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Gotcha. :D