Refurb iPhones May Still Contain Previous Owner Information

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just saw this on TUAW. This is why when I get the 3G iPhone, my current one is either going in my drawer of old Apple stuff or to one of my friends.

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I won't be selling my old iPhone either. I'll either keep it as a backup or just give it to a close friend or family member. That would be rather unfortunate to have all of your information that you thought private exposed.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wow. An idea just popped into my head. I could use the current iPhone as my phone that's jailbroken, and have the other one be clean. Brilliant...

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was thinking that as well. Use the new iPhone as the App Store downloading machine and take advantage of what Apple has to offer and use the current iPhone for those applications that haven't made it into the app store yet.

My 3 year old nephew actually asked today for an iPhone after he played with mine. He's not that bad of a photographer with it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
mine is going to become an 8 Gig iPod Touch... probably give it to my mom to use.

Galley

May 18, 2008
Mine arrived minty fresh from AT&T, with no previous user information.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you have to use forensic data recovery to get to it. Normal users won't be able to find anything.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Mine arrived minty fresh from AT&T, with no previous user information.
Mine looked like it was factory...the plastic front covering could of not looked any more factory...tight and stuck to every edge. Not a single smudge, mark or scratch...no where.

The accessories...seemed to have the factory wrappings also.

Personally I'm glad I got it...I resisted the hype.