[Release] fring - VoIP & Chat client

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Very cool app. Works quite well. I successfuly subscribed to Skype, Gtalk, AIM, and MSN, and my buddy list shows up, and I can chat or call (if supported) them. A couple of drawbacks, but it's only a pre-release, and much more development to come. Very, very impressed thus far.

To install: add http://fring.com/iPhone.xml to Installer sources, and it shows up in its own 'fring' folder.

From the fring pressroom:

About fring
fring® is a mobile internet community and service that enables its users to talk, chat and interact with other fringsters and their internet communities from their mobile phones.

fring users are able to communicate with each other and with contacts from Skype®, MSN®, Google Talk™, ICQ, Twitter, Yahoo!™ & AIM®

fring was “soft-launched” in February 2007 and already enjoys users worldwide in over 180 different countries.

fring operates on the Voice over Internet Protocol (mVoIP) and is optimized for the 3G network and thereforee provides a continuous call connection. fring is 100% free to download and use, with no subscription costs; consumers simply pay for the data they consumer under an existing data plan with their network operator. Completely PC independent, fring requires no additional hardware and no location limitations.
For quick reviews see here and here.

onyxxx6700

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Man I love this app, I have my IM programs running in the background (if you DL insomnia), and I have my yahoo IM craving addressed. Big Ups. I don't even use it for VOIP.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Man I love this app, I have my IM programs running in the background (if you DL insomnia), and I have my yahoo IM craving addressed. Big Ups. I don't even use it for VOIP.
I like to too... it works great and no setup issues.

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
How big of a difference do you notice in Battery Power from using Insomnia?

onyxxx6700

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
How big of a difference do you notice in Battery Power from using Insomnia?
I haven't had a real chance to test it. I think the longest time I have had it running at one time was maybe 3 hours or so. On that run, it didn't seem to drain the battery at all. No more than usual.

But I don't crunch music like a lot of users do.

onyxxx6700

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
I haven't had a real chance to test it. I think the longest time I have had it running at one time was maybe 3 hours or so. On that run, it didn't seem to drain the battery at all. No more than usual.

But I don't crunch music like a lot of users do.
Tried it out with insomnia about 6 hours today, without muh talking, without hardly any music play, and it ate up about 35% of battery (about 15-20% MORE THAN USUAL)

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Perhaps 3G will fix this issue? I'd love to have my phone always online with these chat clients, without too much battery drainage.