Remember Before iDay?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Anyone remember, before iDay, seeing the videos of the iPhone, how it worked and such. How we oooh'd and aaahhh'd and showed our friends and family how cool it was and we were gonna get one as soon as it came out? How it was the coolest, most perfect phone we'd ever seen? What the hell has happened? Now none of seem satisfied with it, and some of us have been downright mean in their discussion of it. Just an observation.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think it's possible to still absolutely believe it is the coolest mobile device, the best smartphone / handheld by a big margin, but also to feel unsatisfied with it.

Warning: Crap analogy coming up - but it's a bit like a really bright student who fails to excel - if you were teaching them you would recognize how bright they were, but you would still be very disappointed if they failed to apply themselves fully and achieve all they could.

I reckon that's where a lot of us are with the iPhone. I still reckon it is an awesome device, unmatched. But ... I want a wide range of apps for it, so we can take full advantage of its power. I want copy&paste because it's flat-out ridiculous that it's not got it already. And so on.

I don't see the two sets of feelings to be mutually exclusive ...

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
I'm still as much as excited about it now as I was when Steve first announced it a year ago. I have no regrets of buying the phone, or paying the monthly charge that is more than my friends pay for example. The device is awesome. Even the new update made it better, even if its as simple as arranging the homescreen. I have no doubts Apple will put this thing on the backburner. We know for sure cool apps will arrive.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I remember.

I swore I would NEVER buy one.
I was not going to be one of those media-suckers that bought whatever Apple and Microsoft shoved down our throats.

I lasted about 4 months.

A trumpet player I was working with had an iPhone and let me play with it for about half an hour before a show. He showed me what it was all about and then let me have fun.

That night I had dinner with a friend who struck up a conversation with the person next to him who had an iPhone, and we talked more about it.

Five days later I bought mine and have NEVER looked back.

Thanks Doug and the guy at Legal Seafood in West Palm Beach.

And everyone here. I wouldn't have bought my iPhone I had not found this website and its incredibly helpful members.

Thank you all.
Dana

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think lots of folks here just spend too much time here. I'm not coming down on anyone, I have my days where I post 10+ posts myself, but...

... ya gotta take a break. Go outside. Read a book. Even if it's online, on your iPhone, under a tree. Whatever....

I just think we run out of things to talk about the iPhone because we... talk... so... much ;)

It's all good, though. Lots of love around here. Let's just keep it that way for newcomers, right?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I think lots of folks here just spend too much time here. I'm not coming down on anyone, I have my days where I post 10+ posts myself, but...

... ya gotta take a break. Go outside. Read a book. Even if it's online, on your iPhone, under a tree. Whatever....

I just think we run out of things to talk about the iPhone because we... talk... so... much ;)

It's all good, though. Lots of love around here. Let's just keep it that way for newcomers, right?

...so...you're posting about posting too much?

wtf

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Same for me I kept saying I wasn't going to get one, except I didn't make it 4 months, I only lasted 4 days. :)

I lasted a hour and 4 minutes.

I went out to dinner, with the wife. I asked as we were leaving the restaurant. Let's stop by the AT&T place and check out the new phone.
A few minutes later, I was playing with the Demo in the store, and 15 minutes later. I have one.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I never get oohs and aahs when I turn it on, because I can't stand to turn it off...But seriously, people get bored with things easily, I am one of them. I usually get a new phone every couple of months but with the iPhone it's different. I can be rest assured (I hope) in the fact that there's always something better on the horizon for the phone, so I couldn't possibly stand to part with it now.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I change my phone regulary (the longest a phone has lasted me wAs 7 months) not because I don't care for them but I get usatisfied and I... Just stop caring really, about them.
there has been one (1) phone in my whole life that I have owned that I did not get bored with, and in fact, I was content until I saw the iPhone. My nokia 6151. That is the only reason it has not been awarded the send-away all my other past phones be received (chucked out of my grandparents 10th floor flat in Moscow)

And yes, I do mean I'm dissatisfied with my iPhone. Its so fragile. I've dropped mine onto hard surfaces like what, three times in its life, and already the chrome bit is separating from the back of the phone. I'm worried, because I'm pretty damn sure I have taken good care of it otherwise.

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
I still am awed when I turn on the iPhone and look at the home screen. I love being in school and when I'm bored in class to be able to go onto the Internet and check out the forums or myspace. While on the bus to listen to music as loud as I want without being bothered LOL. I just love this phone and I don't think I'll ever part from it unless they make a better iPhone :)

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I only lasted 10 weeks, I bought mine just one day and two weeks before they slashed the price! And then my phone had problems, they had me send it in, only to say it never got there, finally sent me one back, only to say, that one never got there either. So in the beginning I was wondering what the hell I had signed up for. Now that things have been on an even keel now for a bit, I can say, it is the best piece of electronics I have ever owned. It was worth all the early stuff to have it now. There's only one thing missing. The ability to take videos.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I was on a cruise to Alaska when the iDay happened, I was miserable because I wanted one since the January MacWorld. When I got back, they were sold old in all the stores, I was searching the Apple stores each day for stock. Then on a Friday at 4:15 my wife stopped at the Apple store to check at at 4:15, and the guy said yes that the UPS had dropped off the new shipment at 4:00 and she did not have to wait in line.:cool:

Next morning they were waiting like 4 hours.:mad:

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I remember, I had a razr maxx v6 and about a month before iday and the bb curve came out on AT&T. I bought it to try and appease my mobile phone addiction but it had syncing issues and I ended up taking it back and waiting for the iPhone. I was pretty excited, being a cell phone addict I had heard the rumors for years and seen all the fake pics it was really crazy when something materialized. At first though I was thinking I didn't want it since I'm not much of a mp3 player fan and I also thought it would be too large a device for my liking but once the hype and anticipation of iday neared it became clear I wouldn't be able to resist trying one out, naturally because no other phones would sync well w / my macbook.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
The novelty just wears off when you finally have it in your hands. But I've used a couple of my friends phones and laugh every time I get done because it is so inferior, not to sound stuck up either, its just wow, phones have come a long way. I love my iPhone and 1.1.3 rejuvinated it for me, I think the SDK will do even more for me.