"Remote" application

Thorn12

Oct 17, 2008
I know there's another thread in here about the Remote application; I've read the entire thing, and nothing's worked for my iPhone. My firewall lets iTunes through, my wi-fi network is really strong, and all the right stuff is ticked in iTunes Preferences.

However, I checked the IP addresses on my iPhone and on my PC, and they are totally different! I don't quite understand how, since our BT Home Hub is the only wireless network I can connect to in the immediate area.

Also, despite the fact that I'm sat at my computer desk which is flawlessly connected to the wi-fi at high strength, my iPhone keeps switching between 3G and high strength wi-fi. Every time I look, it's a different one. Anyone got any ideas?

If it helps, I've got Windows Vista (and somehow get the feeling that Apple is the future) and my iPhone and iTunes are up-to-date. I only got them a week ago.

Thanks in advance :) This seemed like the best place to get answers.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The ip addresses are different for each device connected to your wireless router. Techically, the only device that actually has your true IP address as seen from the internet is the modem.

Example: Modem address might be 123.45.678.90 your PC would most likely have 192.168.1.100 and the next device to connect would be 192.168.1.101, and so on.

To connect from the internet to your PC you first have to have port 5900 open on your router and make sure that any firewall software allows remote connections (either by software or by port)
Then install the service on the PC you want to connect to, we shall say VNC as the service, and once WinVNC is running as a service on your PC. You setup a password, and then from a remote location use a VNC Viewer and point it to 123.45.678.90:5900. You should connect no problem after you enter your login information.
From inside your home, you would be connecting to 192.168.1.100:5900

The IP addresses I am using are not real, just examples. does that help you a little more on how it works?

Thorn12

Oct 17, 2008
It does, yeah, thanks :) Unfortunately, when it comes to nitty gritty tech stuff, I'm a little out of the loop! I can do most other things, but things like this stump me.

I raised the IP addresses because I read on another Remote support thing that your iPhone and PC should have the same IP address. In fact, it might well have been the other Remote application thread that's in here - I've looked at so many help items today, I've lost track!

So, I've checked my brother, who has the iPhone 3G too, and his wi-fi IP address was the same as the PC address. I tried connecting to the BT Fusion, then back to the HomeHub when that didn't yield any results, and all of a sudden my IP address is the same as my PC, except that my iPhone is 78 where my PC is 77 at the end, as you said. So, something's going right! Thanks for the help on that :)

It's the port 5900 that I don't understand. It's not actually my HomeHub. My dad owns it and set it up and all, so I've no idea what went on. Everything else connects without issue - PS3, laptops, PCs.

Also, I read that you have to connect via wi-fi from iPhone to iTunes on your PC to make the Remote application work. That's where all this has arisen from. My iTunes won't pick up my iPhone unless it's connected with the USB 2.0 cable.

Thanks for your help on this, by the way. I appreciate your time.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It does, yeah, thanks :) Unfortunately, when it comes to nitty gritty tech stuff, I'm a little out of the loop! I can do most other things, but things like this stump me.

I raised the IP addresses because I read on another Remote support thing that your iPhone and PC should have the same IP address. In fact, it might well have been the other Remote application thread that's in here - I've looked at so many help items today, I've lost track!

So, I've checked my brother, who has the iPhone 3G too, and his wi-fi IP address was the same as the PC address. I tried connecting to the BT Fusion, then back to the HomeHub when that didn't yield any results, and all of a sudden my IP address is the same as my PC, except that my iPhone is 78 where my PC is 77 at the end, as you said. So, something's going right! Thanks for the help on that :)

It's the port 5900 that I don't understand. It's not actually my HomeHub. My dad owns it and set it up and all, so I've no idea what went on. Everything else connects without issue - PS3, laptops, PCs.

Also, I read that you have to connect via wi-fi from iPhone to iTunes on your PC to make the Remote application work. That's where all this has arisen from. My iTunes won't pick up my iPhone unless it's connected with the USB 2.0 cable.

Thanks for your help on this, by the way. I appreciate your time.
you are almost there. You need to make sure that iTunes is enabled for remote control.
In iTunes, click edit, Preferences and then click on the devices tab. at the bottom, there should be a box to look for iPhone and Touch remotes.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Has your phone or your brother's ever been able to connect via REMOTE? If not I would check your firewall like hawk mentioned. In the case of being on your home network using your "BT Home Hub" I would check the firewall on your computer. Vista is loaded down with new security features. If its' on you can add and exeption to allow iTunes... just for troubleshooting purposes you might want to turn it off and see if you connect.

As for your comments about switching from WIFI to 3G all the time. Sounds like something might be wrong with your WIFI adapter. If it get's a solid signal then it shouldn't swap back and forth. This might explain why you're getting different IPs all the time. For instance, it might say 192.168.1.xxx and then the next minute is shows 64.120.233.110.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Modem address might be 123.45.678.90 your PC would most likely have 192.168.1.100 and the next device to connect would be 192.168.1.101, and so on.
The devices might also have 10.0.1.xxx addresses, which are also used for LANs.

Thorn12

Oct 17, 2008
Has your phone or your brother's ever been able to connect via REMOTE? If not I would check your firewall like hawk mentioned. In the case of being on your home network using your "BT Home Hub" I would check the firewall on your computer. Vista is loaded down with new security features. If its' on you can add and exeption to allow iTunes... just for troubleshooting purposes you might want to turn it off and see if you connect.

As for your comments about switching from WIFI to 3G all the time. Sounds like something might be wrong with your WIFI adapter. If it get's a solid signal then it shouldn't swap back and forth. This might explain why you're getting different IPs all the time. For instance, it might say 192.168.1.xxx and then the next minute is shows 64.120.233.110.
My brother doesn't use it the Remote app. He doesn't tend to listen to his music much off his laptop, whereas my PC is home to all my media, and is my sound system, TV and DVD player. So, I don't know what would happen for him. I do know that his iPhone can't connect to his laptop wirelessly. It doesn't appear in iTunes like that, like how it's supposed to connect apparently.

Having read that, I connected to wi-fi again on my phone (I turned it off when it kept going back and forth), and the IP address has remained the same, except the last two digits are 80 now. There are several wireless things connected to the Hub now, so that didn't surprise me. Thanks for the heads up!

I did check the firewall and the allowances made. iTunes is one of them. I also made sure I had Bonjour (I'd read somewhere else that can mae a difference). Having turned my PC on this morning, iTunes is telling me that Bonour has been disabled. I'm not sure how or why. I didn't do anything to it. Would this have to be on to connect to iTunes wirelessly?

Hawker, I checked that, and it's ticked in iTunes. Still no joy. iTunes isn't picking it up at all.

Thanks for your help on this. It's proving to be a headache. I think it's a principal now! I've gotta get this to work ;) Or it will bug me.