Remote monitoring solutions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
I saw posted a while back on this site a link to a webapp that let you remotely view webcams from your iPhone. Even allowed you to view sites streaming .jpg's from their camera. Very cool stuff. I bought a Toshiba ikwb-15a netcam for my dads house. We're doing some work on it - and I wanted to be able to see people coming and going while I was at work to see what was delivered - or taken while I was away. I took the idea and created a website wrapped around ajaxcam to that allows me to remotely 'stream' .jpg images to my iPhone with full pan/tilt/zoom/and preset access. I posted a youtube video of the effort so far for the users of this forum. Open to suggestions. There is so much more functionality in the camera that I haven't taken advantage of yet. But thought I would post my results thus far.

How it works ? Camera is configured to send me an email with a picture and the url back to the weblink that runs the software you see in the video. If I see the alert was triggered by anything intestering, then I visit the website and 'watch' whats going on - all from my iPhone. Edge sucks - so I only get between 1 frame ever 3 to 9 seconds depending on where I'm at at the moment. Over wifi is a different story. Averaging between 1 to 3 fps - again, depending on where I am at the moment.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You should also try Windows Media Encoder. I run that in preview mode and VNC into my PC and even over Edge I get 2-3 frames per second on Average.
However, the notification that you currently get will not happen this way.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
You should also try Windows Media Encoder. I run that in preview mode and VNC into my PC and even over Edge I get 2-3 frames per second on Average.
However, the notification that you currently get will not happen this way.
I did think of doing that : ) But, I wanted an operation that worked independent of the PC. This camera provides a web and ftp server built in. I put the code on my webserver running <somewhere in the cloud> and even with the PC shutdown - I can still access the live camera view. I would love to have the better refresh rate of your solution, but don't want to leave that PC running full time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Awesome. Great idea. Although I think it wold be really cool if there was a way to use the camera on the MacBookPro an watch live feed from it on the iPhone without weblinks and such.

Riker0007

Oct 5, 2007
How are you guys doing this. I am able to get into my camera's web interface but the image is not there; it's missing, although I can control the ptz. I have a dlink camera and a sony.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
R.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
How are you guys doing this. I am able to get into my camera's web interface but the image is not there; it's missing, although I can control the ptz. I have a dlink camera and a sony.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
R.
The Toshiba uses activeX - which is useless on the iPhone. I thought all hope was lost in interfacing with this camera from the iPhone, until I discovered there was a devkit ( fancy term for a pdf hi-octane-owners-manual ) It included all the codes necessary to get the camera to respond via http: for example ...to see a single live pic from the camera ... you would send the following http request:

http://user:assword@yourDynDnsname.com/admin/__live.jpg

to tell the camera to move to preset #2 - you send the following http request followed by the same request mentioned above for a live picture.

http://yourDynDnsName.com/api/wbpresetapi.cgi?cont_4=265&valign=top

Using the ajax script I found on ajaxcam.com - I wrapped a webpage
around it and formatted it to fit my screen by setting the viewport
equal to 320px ... and it has worked flawlessly since I installed it.

I plan to post the source for my netcam website soon as an example for you.

Riker0007

Oct 5, 2007
Your awesome! My cams also use the activex but I have not tired looking for the devkit for which you found.
In any case thanks for the response and looking forward to the info.
R.

Really awesome, i have a network camera in my store and can only be use by internet explorer because the activeX, when i chieck with my iPhone only let me watch snapshots. I really and hopefully want to watch it on my iPhone. Thanks.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Does anyone have this code? I would love to test it out and integrate it,.
You are going to have to elaborate on what code you are looking for, since you are posting to a thread that' last post before yours was back in July.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
You are going to have to elaborate on what code you are looking for, since you are posting to a thread that' last post before yours was back in July.
What?...why?

The only code mentioned in this thread was the code the op used to create the iphone-friendly monitoring system. It is not like there are 20 pages to this thread. You only had to read about 75 words to know what was being requested. And the answer is no...I requested this code as well, and the op vanished.

At least the op gave a breakdown of what he/she did. Someone will have to rewrite it.

gateway

Aug 10, 2008
I was looking at tackling a similar web app system, and if the remote monitoring code was avail like in the video on the first post of this thread, I do believe a few posts down they also mention the release of this code. Only reason I posted here is I found this in Google but their seems to be no traction, so was just a follow up. ;)

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
It took me way to long to respond - I am so easily distracted by shiny objects. I have made many modifications to the webpage since I posted that youtube video example. I added X10 functionality to allow you to launch the brower at the webcam - then select an option to turn the exterior lighting on - so you can take a peek around the carport - and then turn it back off all remotely using the iPhone. I also added an option to turn on the radio in the kitchen near the door incase the webcam alerts me that someone is at the door. I've done this to the UPS man so many times now - he's getting used to it. :)

The script for managing my remote webcam is very simple. It's html built on top of ajax code written by Douglas Turecek. I edited his code to add html camera preset codes as hyperlinks to image buttons in order to get the camera to move while refreshing only the image portion of the page. As a script - this works very fast on the local network. Over edge, updates are atrocious. Over 3G - I wouldn't know. I did not upgrade ..... yet.

For my Toshiba IKWB-15A camera - I signed up as a developer on the manufacturers site - and was given access to a manual with all the appropriate html codes you could send to the camera to do things like ...
Turn on email
Increase resolution
Lower compression
Move the camera to a preset location
Pan the camera left or right
Tilt the camera up or down
Zoom in or out
etc ... you get the point. A sample of this code below - makes the camera tilt up by one measure. To make the camera tilt down - you simply change cont_2=4 portion of the line to cont_2=8.

All the other codes are similarly fashioned. So in the body of the html - I placed a table to hold all the images - and then matched the codes for the presets and the PTZ functions to those pictures. Tap a small picture - and watch the viewport show the camera taking that action - all without a visible refresh of the page. Kewl.
The un-defiled ajaxcam code can be found here: http://www.ajaxcam.com
The script author has put a copy of my youtube video on his site as an example of how his code can be used. :cool:

I am available for questions - but have questionable availability. LOL - but, I'll do my best.