Remote Wipe vs Remote Lock - Lost iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If I remote lock my iPhone using Find My Phone, will I still be able to make it beep and send a message to it after? Additionally, will I still be able to remote wipe it?

Although, I would think a remote lock to a missing iPhone is more secure than a wipe, correct? A wipe just gives the person who is in possession of my phone a freshly installed phone, with no lock, etc?

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Did you loose your phone ?
    If not, besides wiping you could try all the features and get answers. What carrier you use? Most carriers also have some lock/wipe abilities.

3. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

The remote lock feature will only lock the device(just as putting a passcode on the phone does). You will still be able to send messages to the device, and even call your phone number. The remote wipe feature will work as well. However, if the person turns off your device, turns on Airplane Mode, or restores it as new, the "find my iPhone" feature will no longer work.

The wipe is used to remove personal data(in case credit card numbers, social's, etc) from the device. It will, however, remove the "find my iPhone" from the device as well. A wipe is going to be used only in a last-resort type basis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you guys. Yup, phone is lost. And I had Location Services off =(

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread title edited for clarity.

Did you get your phone back?

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Did you contact the carrier ?
    I wonder of it still can be loacated ? Is it stolen or lost? You can still report the serial number so even if you do not get it back it is useless for everyone else.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for the info! It was initially lost, and in a city like Miami, FL, promptly its status likely switched to "stolen." I say stolen because I dialed it numerous times, but there was no answer (the fact that it did not go straight to voicemail leads me to believe that it still had battery). Also, Find My iPhone reported to me that the MULTIPLE requests for warning sounds to be played and messages to be displayed that I requested ("This phone belongs to Rafael Gonzalez, please call 786-xxx-yyyy"). Of course, it could simply had fallen out of my pocket and landed in a pile of leaves and it could still be out there waiting for me. I put the nail on its coffin by having Location Services off, as I'm usually not absent-minded enough to lose my phone, and I also don't like the little bit of extra drain on my battery from Location Services.

Even if the battery were still alive, I've performed the Remote Wipe. I also informed AT&T within 24 hours of the incident. They informed me that my phone's IMEI will be put into a database that they share with other carriers, preventing the potential thief from using it for the phone functionality. I wonder if Apple has any way to block the thief from putting his (or her) Apple ID into my phone? I don't want them using my phone as an iPod or as an iDevice to play games.

I'm fortunate that I have an old 3GS, and a second line, so I had the AT&T rep swap my phone numbers. I explained that I did not want to jeopardize the fact that my secondary # was due for a handset upgrade, which I plan to use to get the iPhone 5.

Well, being back on my 3GS for now is all the more reason to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I shouldn't feel so bad... I have an iPhone 3GS for now. So many unfortunate souls out there have an Android or a Crackberry.

One final though: If iOS allows me to send warning beeps, display messages, and even perform remote wiped, why won't it let me toggle Location Services back to on?!?

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you. I chose my original thread title while in panic mode. ;(

Negative. I'm holding a candlelight vigil for the loss of my 4S on Thursday or Friday of the upcoming week, and you're welcome to attend. I know you're in the UK, and, as we discussed in another post, coming over to the US by plane may not be a financially sound decision. You could still try to come through work, or maybe Google Maps offers a route whereby you can avoid an air route in favor of a sea route. Do you own a boat and the skills to follow a water route provided by Google? I live in Miami and hundreds of thousands seem to take the water route from Cuba to Miami all the time. Most arrive with only a slight case of hunger and sunburn. Keep me posted!

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'm an ex-submariner, I'll find a way of getting to the ceremony. Fast and deep.