Removing duplicate songs in iTunes; delete song command is gone

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I occasionally end up with duplicate songs in iTunes. This would be fine if it happened to the albums I've downloaded from the iTunes Store, because I could simply delete the whole album and re-download it from the iTunes Store. But I have many albums in my iTunes Library there I ripped off the original CDs. In many cases, I no longer own the original CDs.

When right-clicking on a song in iTunes, there used to be an option to delete the song, which would then ask you if you wanted to delete it from the computer as well. Since THAT option seems to be gone, I deleted the actual song files off my computer by using Show in Finder, then Delete File. Now I have song entries with an exclamation point beside them (because the song file is gone), as expected. When I right-click on those duplicate entries to get rid of them, I still do not see an option to delete them. Any ideas on what I could do?

Here's some screenshots to better illustrate my point:

This is what I want to delete:

cannot delete duplicate songs on iTunes.jpg

Here you can see that when I right-click on the song entries I want to remove (obviously because they're duplicates), the delete song command is gone:

Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 4.17.07 PM.jpg

Any and all help will be appreciated!