Removing Icon Shadows iOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by partizan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Hi guys, has anyone been able to figure out what files need to be removed/renamed in iOS 4.2.1 in order to get rid of those annoying shadows behind app icons. It looks like Apple has moved some of the files from the Springboard.app folder.

Thank you.

2. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Never mind, found it. For those interested you have to rename the AppIconMask@2x.png to .bak and the shadows will be gone. The path is: .
    system>library>privateframeworks>mobileicons.framework

Thanks

3. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

Where can I find "system", on my 3GS? SW/iOS is 4.2.1.

4. IcyIzzy

IcyIzzy New Member

An easier way is to download Springtomize from cydia. Removing the shadow is a custom option there.

5. IcyIzzy

IcyIzzy New Member

Use an app called iFile. System is one of the firsts directories.

6. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

Oh ok. Thanks.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Does this still work? I tried this on iOS 6.1.2 and it still shows the icon shadows.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thank you. I will try this. I was literally about to create a new thread about a new issue that occurred because of trying to fix shadow issue, but I will ask here if that's alright.

I now have an interesting issue. I removed AppIconOverlay, AppIconMask, and AppIconShadow in springboard.app and that didn't fix the shadow issue. I put them back in their rightful spot in iFile, but now a lot of my app store apps are boxed shaped.

Edit: The method that I did that was suggested and people said worked in the link you gave me did not remove the icon shadows from springboard or dock.

Attached Files:

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's not icon shadows, that's icon reflections, which are only there by default on the dock. Is that included with your theme or did you enable them separately?

As far as the other files, did you try rebooting?

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

To be honest, I'm not sure why the shadows are there now. I tried turning everything off in winterboard. The reflections still show. Yes I tried rebooting.

Do you have any clue why my App Store icons are now box shaped?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's because you deleted one of the masks. Are you certain you put everything back and in its proper location? I don't see shadows. I only see reflections. Were they part of this theme or did they show up after you deleted files?

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yes I am certain I put them back in its proper location. I can't recall now when they showed up. They were there when I was trying to get rid of them of course.

Is there a way I can fix my springboard through iFile to fix the box apps? Maybe it's possible you'd be willing to share your springboard.app file with me through Dropbox.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are caches elsewhere, so that probably wouldn't work. You'll need to delete the cache. Do these reflections and boxed app icons show up in safe mode?

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The boxed icons show up because I made a mistake. I'm thinking I'm going to need a copy of someone's springboard.app. The reflections do not show up in safe mode, and I'm able to set a wallpaper in safe mode.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You said you're certain that you put the files back. Using someone else's entire folder probably wouldn't help and it would likely cause other problems. You might just need to delete the caches. I know where they are for the dock, because that's all I really theme anymore, but I'd have to research the location for the ones you need. Try deleting all the files here and rebooting: /private/var/mobile/Cache/com.apple.IconCaches.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Sadly, I made a silly mistake and totally deleted AppIconOverlay, AppIconMask, and AppIconShadow in springboard.app. Would it be possible to get these three sent to me to put back using iFile? What's strange though is even with them there I still had the box icons.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You deleted those and didn't back them up? Okay, yeah I can send them, but try deleting all the files here and rebooting first: /private/var/mobile/Cache/com.apple.IconCaches.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I should have backed them up. Mann!

As for the icon caches, I've deleted them already several times and rebooted.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's rule #1 for theming - especially when the jailbreak status is so precarious.

You gave me the wrong location for the files. They aren't located in the Springboard app folder. Check here to make sure they really are missing:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework