Removing Icons

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Yet another of my (seemingly endless) newbie questions.

I've inadvertently added several icons to my screen through Safari (all of them "shortcuts"!)

I simply cannot figure out how to delete them!

What I have done is just move them to a page where they are normally out of sight, but surely there must be a way of deleting them entirely?

Any helpful suggestions will most certainly be appreciated.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
As long as they aren't system apps (ie apps that come with the phone) which it doesn't sound like they are, when you hold down your finger on the app to get the wiggle (how you moved the apps) there is a X in the top left hand corner of the app's icon. Click that and it will delete the app.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yet another of my (seemingly endless) newbie questions.

I've inadvertently added several icons to my screen through Safari (all of them "shortcuts"!)

I simply cannot figure out how to delete them!

What I have done is just move them to a page where they are normally out of sight, but surely there must be a way of deleting them entirely?

Any helpful suggestions will most certainly be appreciated.
Hold down on them until they start to wiggle, there should be an 'x' in the upper left hand corner that you will tap to delete them.

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
As long as they aren't system apps (ie apps that come with the phone) which it doesn't sound like they are, when you hold down your finger on the app to get the wiggle (how you moved the apps) there is a X in the top left hand corner of the app's icon. Click that and it will delete the app.

So simple! I actually tried that several times, but my fat fingers must not have hit the tiny "X".

Thank you!

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
No, it's not just you. It is a bit difficult to hit the X sometimes.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Even simple things like this I will have to learn being a newbie to the iPhone. It will be something I love learning about though.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Wow. Thorough researchers. I mean I see how it can go fast, I just joined and already have a bunch. But I wouldn't be on a forum for a product I either didn't own or was going to buy shortly. :laugh2:

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. Thorough researchers. I mean I see how it can go fast, I just joined and already have a bunch. But I wouldn't be on a forum for a product I either didn't own or was going to buy shortly. :laugh2:
I loved learning about this iPhone even though I never owned one, and I think Indy can testify to that. I always knew it was just a matter of time when I awaited the new features that I would buy it. I know many people out there wouldn't be able to stand it waiting for that long. At least I'm not postponing now until 2010. :)

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
i just wish we could get rid of stocks, weather and clock and replace them with cooler apps of the same

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Everybody starts knowing nothing. You can be a "genius" on here and some noob will tell you something you didn't know! ;)

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Yeah man, I wish we could hide all those apps. Not delete, just hide. F'n Apple. :)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah man, I wish we could hide all those apps. Not delete, just hide. F'n Apple. :)
If you Jailbreak you can hide those apps using SBSettings. I just wish you could still access those apps via spotlight, but once you hide them, you must unhide them to use again.