Removing Jailbreak and upgrading to new firmware.

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding JB...

i) If I want to remove, I can just restore the iPhone through iTunes, correct? I know I will lose all my stuff on it, does that mean I'll lose app store applications as well, including those I paid for?

ii) Is there a way to keep those paid applications, like synch iTunes with it and then synch that application back on the iPhone?

iii) When the new firmware JB comes, how does the upgrade process work? We restore and then upgrade and then JB or directly upgrade and JB?

Thanks.

bugeater5

Jan 27, 2009
I'm fairly certain you'll still have those appstore apps available because it's an account with iTunes or whoever. If you don't have them on iTunes, I've found that when I go to download them again it just gives me a message that the program has already been purchased would you like to download again (paraphrasing).

I just restored my phone and it installed 2.2.1

Everything that I bought or was free, was still available to reload on my phone. Didn't have to repay for anything.

as for number iii, that's out of my paygrade. Someone else will have to answer that one.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
for JB phone to upgrade to newer firmware, all you need to do is restore to original, then upgrade to the newer firmware.
Then you can re-sync to your iTune to get everything back (of course without JB apps).

As you may know, DO NOT just upgrade to newer firmware straight from your JB phone.... it will more likely brick your phone....

If you want to JB your phone with newer firmware, you just have to wait for dev-team to release pwn for the newer firmware... (JB -> restore -> upgrade -> JB again)

In fact, I would actually do back-up before you restore the JB phone first..

For those paid apps... I believe all the apps are actually saved in somewhere in your hard drive... you just have to know where... (however, usually, if you re-sync, you will get all those back)

I have messed around those saved file before, and I "think" I found saved apps somewhere in iTune library folder in explore.... (sorry, can't remember exactly anymore.... and I use windows XP)

I hope they make sense.... ?

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Thanks! That was great!

One more question.. After upgrading and JB again, do I stll have the apps installed through cydia and installer (after re-synching with iTunes). I heard you don't get any of those 3rd party apps back.

please correct me if i'm wrong...

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks! That was great!

One more question.. After upgrading and JB again, do I stll have the apps installed through cydia and installer (after re-synching with iTunes). I heard you don't get any of those 3rd party apps back.

please correct me if i'm wrong...
You are correct, after you re-JB and re-sync, you won't have your cydia's apps back....

I thought there was cydia app for backing up 3rd party apps... sorry but I can't remember the name.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding JB...

i) If I want to remove, I can just restore the iPhone through iTunes, correct? I know I will lose all my stuff on it, does that mean I'll lose app store applications as well, including those I paid for?

ii) Is there a way to keep those paid applications, like synch iTunes with it and then synch that application back on the iPhone?

iii) When the new firmware JB comes, how does the upgrade process work? We restore and then upgrade and then JB or directly upgrade and JB?

Thanks.
for clarity:

i) Yes, a restore will fully wipe your iPhone.

ii) Yes, just sync your iPhone once more before you restore. All of your apps will be transferred onto your computer via iTunes (just like music and videos).

iii) First you need to wait for the Dev team to update Pwnage tool or QuickPwn to jailbreak the new software. Once they do (and assuming there isn't a wrench thrown into the JB process), you restore your iPhone, update to the new software, and run quickPwn... or use Pwnage Tool for the whole thing.

You can back-up Cydia apps with App Backup.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
for clarity:

i) Yes, a restore will fully wipe your iPhone.

ii) Yes, just sync your iPhone once more before you restore. All of your apps will be transferred onto your computer via iTunes (just like music and videos).

iii) First you need to wait for the Dev team to update Pwnage tool or QuickPwn to jailbreak the new software. Once they do (and assuming there isn't a wrench thrown into the JB process), you restore your iPhone, update to the new software, and run quickPwn... or use Pwnage Tool for the whole thing.

You can back-up Cydia apps with App Backup.
Perfect answer! hehe.. :laugh2::laugh2: