Removing Jailbreak

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I have searched about how to remove jailbreaking from my 3G V2.2.1 and I am still a bit confused.

My priorities are:

1) Remove the jailbreak
2) Restore to a "new phone" status
3) Leave no jailbreak residuals.

I have been resyncing my phone daily for a couple of months since my original jailbreak.

Questions:

1 - I know that I need to do a restore operation from within iTunes. Do I need to delete any of the data that my phone has about all of the syncs that I have been doing?

2- When I resync... will some of the jailbreak data be put back onto my iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You're right about the fact you need to do a restore.

The thing that lots of us have found helps - a lot! - in giving your phone as clean and solid a start as possible after the restore is to make sure you choose to setup as a new phone, not restore from backup - so make sure you know that you have synced successfuly and have your contacts / photos etc. available on your PC / Mac to sync back.

You still may not get rid of 100% of jailbreak 'residuals' - depending on what apps you've run / what things were done while jailbroken - as some of these have proved amazingly persistent - but doing the new phone setup should be the right way to go for you ...

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
make sure you know that you have synced successfuly and have your contacts / photos etc. available on your PC / Mac to sync back.
Thanks for the advice.

All of my pics from my camera roll are moved into the PC. All of my contacts, music, photos, calendar etc all sync off of outlook and/or iTunes.

/Jim

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Good thread

So the procedure is:

1) Do a Successfull sync.
2) Do a restore.
3) Choose to restore as a new phone.
4) Sync to get your contacts back.

Is that correct?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good thread

So the procedure is:

1) Do a Successfull sync.
2) Do a restore.
3) Choose to restore as a new phone.
4) Sync to get your contacts back.

Is that correct?
Yes, that sounds right. Remember you may also want to think about ensuring you've synced things like photos and contacts to somewhere before restoring as well ...

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Well i lost my contacts...oh well, I got most of them back from an old sim card.

I am left with another problem tho, I would like to make a backup(since restore does not work)

It say its cannot start a session but the iPhone shows in iTunes and sync's just fine.

I found 2 possible solutions which did not work
1) Disable antivirus.
2) reset "Sync history"

Any one have any other solutions?

Thank You.

The phone seems to be completely Unjailbroken now.