Renaming Springboard Icons

Jul 18, 2009
Morganton, NC
www.myspace.com
Hello. I searched the forum for "rename icons" and found nothing that answered my question, so if I have overlooked a previously posted question, I apologize.

I registered on this forum mainly to ask this question but also because several of the posts have helped me in my search to make my iPhone the best ever :sneaky:

I have downloaded some apps from the iTunes store, and good Lord the size of the names on them are ridiculous and many overlap and it looks just awful.

I tried using a program called iPhonebrowswer to change the name on the .app file, and that only resulted in those apps disappearing from my springboard completely :dft008:surprised

I've read a couple other places about a Cydia app "Rename II" or "Rename," neither of which can I find. I also read a post listing some serious hubbub that I would never be able to decipher on ways to get it done.

So I ask you dear sirs and ma'ams, is there a way to rename App Icons on the springboard. If so, PLEASE explain it to me, not in layman's terms persae, but definitely in somewhat clear and understandable langauge. Actually, hell, layman's terms will suit me just fine .. as long as it works :(

Thanks a lot,

Dana

Jul 16, 2009
Go to cydia and add this new source iPhone.org.hk/apt/
afte that look in the new source and you will find the
rename application,installed it and you are all set!
Enjoy

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks just doing it now! Changing ColorSplash to Ps and then changing the icon :D.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
very sweet!
thank you

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
just noticed that if you change your app name, it will undo any icons you have changed...
youll have to go back to iPhonebrowser or w/e and rename them

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
For some reason it won't let me rename my apps. I have the found a video on youtube that walked me through the steps of getting Rename. I am trying to change the name of my SMS from Messages to Text and even though it says Text in Rename it still says Messages on my iPhone. What am I missing? I tried changing Notes to Notepad and that didn't work either.

I tried changing 3 stock apps: Safari to Internet, Notes to Notepad and Meesages to Text none of which took. Even tried changing in WinSCP and though it renamed them there didn't change them my iPhone. I did change an iTunes app using Rename and that worked. What am I missing? This driving me crazy!

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
Try respringing your phone.
By respringing you mean turn phone completely off, correct? I turned it off more this morning than I have since I bought it and nothing has worked.

If you can see the O-N have been changed in WinSCP and reflect that but won't change on my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
cant see your pictures....

most people, when they respring a JB'd phone, they do it through sbsettings.
theres a respring icon.
i use it often.

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
cant see your pictures....

most people, when they respring a JB'd phone, they do it through sbsettings.
theres a respring icon.
i use it often.
I did a respring using sbsettings as you suggested and still no go.

As you can see Safari, Messages and Notes haven't changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Can't see any of your pictures?

If your using the rename app through Cydia, I can't understand the problem. You can respring through SBSettings or through BossPrefs.

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
well durn, i am using Photobucket...I can my pics don't understand why they aren't showing up to all.
Let's try the link and see if that works. But I am using the Rename app through Cydia and I did a respring using SBSettings and nothing has worked the only app I was able to rename was an iTunes app.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/TarHeelsRule-2008/iPhone photos/36ed454c.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/TarHeelsRule-2008/iPhone photos/e010a2ee.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/TarHeelsRule-2008/iPhone photos/c747ffd5.jpg

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I can see your pictures now..

I have just downloaded 'Rename' through Cydia. I have just renamed three apps, it's working fine for me.

When you rename the apps, you type whatever you want it to be and hit the rename button. Once you do this, I'm assuming you want to check it all. So when you hit the Home button, does the phone automatically re-spring?

Do you get a little message for a few seconds saying 'Setting Langauge'

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
I can see your pictures now..

I have just downloaded 'Rename' through Cydia. I have just renamed three apps, it's working fine for me.

When you rename the apps, you type whatever you want it to be and hit the rename button. Once you do this, I'm assuming you want to check it all. So when you hit the Home button, does the phone automatically re-spring?

Do you get a little message for a few seconds saying 'Setting Langauge'
I rename the app and hit the rename button, then hit the home button and it resprings itself. I see the "Setting Langauge" message and the little spinning wheel. But when it restarts the apps are not renamed but remain the same. The only app that changed was a Stanza app that I renamed Ebooks, which of course I got through iTunes.