Renting my first movie on iTunes

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Well I am going to be on a plane tomorrow so I decided to rent a movie to watch on the iPhone. Still have 25 mins left of the download.... I had $15 and after the purchase I have $10.77... Does I tunes charge tax lol well hopefully Ocean 13 will be a good choice... I have been puting it off..

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
can't really answer your question, but i really enjoyed the movie...so i thought i might as well chime in. Have a safe flight.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Well I am going to be on a plane tomorrow so I decided to rent a movie to watch on the iPhone. Still have 25 mins left of the download.... I had $15 and after the purchase I have $10.77... Does I tunes charge tax lol well hopefully Ocean 13 will be a good choice... I have been puting it off..
yeah iTunes does charge tax. that's why on a $15 gift card you can't get 15 songs.

and i've heard good things about oceans13 but haven't seen it myself.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
That's odd because I had a $15 gift card recently and each time I DLed a song it would only take $0.99 away and each TV episode only took away $1.99.
I think I know why they charge tax for me... I live in nj they took nj tax rate... And you live in Fl and there is not state sales tax there... iTunes goes by what state you live in.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well I've noticed that the amount that my e-mail receipt is, and the amount taken out of my bank account is always a little more. I actually wrote back to iTunes once where it says report problem, and they just acted like they didn't understand what I was talking about, and repeated the price back to me. It does bother me that they take a little more than the receipt says. It's usually .10 to .20 more every purchase. The taxes should be in our receipt if we pay them.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
yeah iTunes does charge tax. that's why on a $15 gift card you can't get 15 songs.

and i've heard good things about oceans13 but haven't seen it myself.
iTunes does not charge tax. with 15 dollars you can buy 15 songs and still have 15cents left over. same with movies and tv episodes. i have no idea about renting movies but buying anything from iTunes there is no tax.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think I know why they charge tax for me... I live in nj they took nj tax rate... And you live in Fl and there is not state sales tax there... iTunes goes by what state you live in.
FL has state sales tax (7% here in my county), but no state INCOME tax. That money is made up by you Disney/Sea World loving folks. :D

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i just looked at one of my recent iTunes receipts and there is no tax charged. i also live in CA, which is the state that Apple is located in and there is no charge for sales tax. I think this is because you're not buying a tangible item like a CD or DVD, just a file.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
iTunes does not charge tax. with 15 dollars you can buy 15 songs and still have 15cents left over. same with movies and tv episodes. i have no idea about renting movies but buying anything from iTunes there is no tax.
iTunes DOES charge tax. every song i buy cost me $1.06 i live in Tx

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Item Number[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Description[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Unit Price[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Q0002[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Misery Business
Report a Problem
[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.99[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Subtotal:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.99[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Tax:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.07[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Order Total:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$1.06[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
iTunes DOES charge tax. every song i buy cost me $1.06 i live in Tx

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Item Number[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Description[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Unit Price[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Q0002[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Misery Business
Report a Problem
[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.99[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Subtotal:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.99[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Tax:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.07[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Order Total:[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$1.06[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
that is probably something having to do with the state law. california does not apparently have this law.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I rented The Italian Job from iTunes last week and watched it on my iPhone, no problems. Great movie, by the way.

Something I found a few days ago - if you set back your system's date and/or time, your movie rental time will be extended.

- John

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I rented The Italian Job from iTunes last week and watched it on my iPhone, no problems. Great movie, by the way.

Something I found a few days ago - if you set back your system's date and/or time, your movie rental time will be extended.

- John
that's awesome to know, John! Let's see how long before Apple closes that loop hole.

The Italian Job, by the way, is a GREAT movie!:)