Reorganization of forum topics

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
With the rebranding behind us, I'm focusing on expanding the forums to welcome in iPod Touch owners. I believe the similarity between the devices makes this a natural fit for EIC. Anyway, as you'll notice I've moved some things around. However, I haven't changed any of the existing forums.

I'd love to get some feedback. In particular, I'd like thoughts on the Software category. Where should the categories include both iPhone and iPod Touch owners...and where should they stay separate. I would like to separate out the "stock software" questions from all third party discussion.

Here's what I was thinking:
Software
  • iPhone and iPod Touch Software: Discuss software that come with your device. (rename iPhone Software forum)
  • Third Party Applications: Discuss third party applications, games and more. Not for discussion of jailbreaking or hacks.
  • iPhone and iPod Touch Modifications: (name change of existing iPhone Modifications forum)
  • Wallpapers: Share wallpapers for iPhone and iPod Touch.
Before making any major changes, I wanted to get everyone's feedback. If you feel there should a forum where iPhone users and iPod Touch users should be separate, let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
hi, and thanks for all that you have done for this site, i was just thinking that ipod modifications sounds safer [interms of us being able to have there conversations] then Hacks, you know just in case Apple comes in here and tried to crack whip, that is just my opinion.. just think that modification sounds "nicer" then hack...

thanks for everything.....

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
maybe seaparate thread for jailbreak/unlock questions... another for questions about apps... and then maybe a media area for talk about ringtones/wallpapers

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't think the forums applying to both need the "iPhone and iPod touch" prefix. Just keep it simple:

Stock software

Third-party applications

Modifications

Wallpapers

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't think the forums applying to both need the "iPhone and iPod touch" prefix. Just keep it simple:

Stock software

Third-party applications

Modifications

Wallpapers
Do you think those categories apply to both iPhone and iPod Touch users? Is there any reason to separate out the iPhone users from the iPod Touch users?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
maybe seaparate thread for jailbreak/unlock questions...
Is there a need for a Jailbreak subforum or has the Modifications forum been suitable for those topics.

My confusion starts when thinking about third party applications and the modifications category. Jailbreak is considered a modification. The resulting apps discussion resides in 3rd Party Applications.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
if you mean 3rd party apps installed on the iPhone/iPod touch, i think this should be a sub-forum of the modifications forum (since you can't have one without the other). otherwise, you could have a web apps forum so that there's a clear place for people to go who want to discuss those and not get them confused with 3rd party apps that require hacking.

and i think that naming the modification forum "hacking/jailbreaking/unlocking forum" will be more clear, though not as pretty or articulate...

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Do you think those categories apply to both iPhone and iPod Touch users? Is there any reason to separate out the iPhone users from the iPod Touch users?

Mostly the same device, minus the phone and EDGE. Same process to mod and such.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Mostly the same device, minus the phone and EDGE. Same process to mod and such.
Agreed. They're similar enough that a lot of categories now and in the future will apply to both.

Here's some suggestions

iPhone
- iPhone General (Merge iPhone and General Discussion)

iPod
- iPod General
- iPod Touch
- iPod Shuffle
- iPod Nano
- iPod Classic
- Older Generations

Customization
- Docks, speakers/headsets, and cables
- Cleaning, cases, and protective films
- Modifications (jailbreak, unlock)
- Ringtones (or put this in iPhone category)

iPhone and iPod Touch Software
- Stock software (comes with your device)
- After market apps (web apps, and apps built on the upcoming SDK)
- Black market apps (apps requiring jailbreak)

Connectivity & Carriers
- Bluetooth
- Wi-Fi
- EDGE General
- AT&T
- O2

Media
- Mac
- PC
- iTunes
- Converting Videos

Everything Else iCafe
- Introductions
- Off Topic
- Speculation on future iStuff
- Camping

I'd also suggest if you merge any popular forums, to make their forum ID a redirect to the new forum, instead of just deleting the forum. Then move the posts from that forum to the new merged forum. I'd gather from seeing the 1,000+ guests online, they're all reading based on a Google search for iPhone stuff.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Agreed. They're similar enough that a lot of categories now and in the future will apply to both.

Here's some suggestions

iPhone
- iPhone General (Merge iPhone and General Discussion)

iPod
- iPod General
- iPod Touch
- iPod Shuffle
- iPod Nano
- iPod Classic
- Older Generations

Customization
- Docks, speakers/headsets, and cables
- Cleaning, cases, and protective films
- Modifications (jailbreak, unlock)
- Ringtones (or put this in iPhone category)

iPhone and iPod Touch Software
- Stock software (comes with your device)
- After market apps (web apps, and apps built on the upcoming SDK)
- Black market apps (apps requiring jailbreak)

Connectivity & Carriers
- Bluetooth
- Wi-Fi
- EDGE General
- AT&T
- O2

Media
- Mac
- PC
- iTunes
- Converting Videos

Everything Else iCafe
- Introductions
- Off Topic
- Speculation on future iStuff
- Camping

I'd also suggest if you merge any popular forums, to make their forum ID a redirect to the new forum, instead of just deleting the forum. Then move the posts from that forum to the new merged forum. I'd gather from seeing the 1,000+ guests online, they're all reading based on a Google search for iPhone stuff.
This is very well thought out and much appreciated. I actually tried something along these lines last night, but it felt too much like a "general" mac forum. I really would like to keep the spirit of this being an iPhone forum (+iPod Touch). Keeping true to the roots of this forums (iPhone specific) and not becoming too much like that other iSite.;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I do think we're close to getting it correct. Right now, the iPhone section offers 5 sections that are specific to the iPhone. Last night, I pulled all the iPhone case topics from iPhone accessories and created it's own category.
iPod Touch has broken the chains of being stuck with the other iPods:p and it has it's section that can expand as necessary (similar to what's happened with the iPhone). While I'd like to keep the other iPod discussions available, I don't think they should be the focus of the forum.

Keep the feedback coming on the Software category and forums. Let me know what you'd like to see in that section. If we all agree that software is the same for iPhone and iPod Touch members, than both can benefit from having more contributors -- since we'd have owners of both devices contributing.

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Looking more and more like the following:

Software
  • iPhone | iPod Touch Software (For discussion of stock software and applications that shipped with your iPhone or iPod Touch)*Currently iPhone Software
  • Third Party Applications (Discuss third party applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch)
  • iPhone | iPod Touch Hacks (Discuss Jailbreak and other hacks or modifications for the iPhone or iPod Touch) *Currently iPhone Modifications
  • iPhone | iPod Touch Wallpapers (Discuss and share wallpapers for both the iPhone and iPod Touch.) *Currently iPhone Wallpapers
Thoughts? Opinions?

The long winded names are sometimes necessary to help folks find this site when searching.;)

-Chris

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Hi Chris,

This is a little off topic, but with regard to the rebranding, I noticed that "everything iPhone" still appears in the Off Topic forum heading. Not sure if you meant to keep it there, if it just slipped through the cracks, or if you were planning to change it later.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out in case it's something that might cause some drama down the line :)

Attachments

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi Chris,

This is a little off topic, but with regard to the rebranding, I noticed that "everything iPhone" still appears in the Off Topic forum heading. Not sure if you meant to keep it there, if it just slipped through the cracks, or if you were planning to change it later.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out in case it's something that might cause some drama down the line :)
I'm going to keep that for now.;) It's sort of general section anyway. Perhaps I'll change it down the road when is start to get used to the everythingiCafe.

-Chris

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It'll take some getting used to, and there's now a bit more scrolling since I'm here primarily for the Mac and iPhone, but I like it. And yes, I'm very lazy.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It'll take some getting used to, and there's now a bit more scrolling since I'm here primarily for the Mac and iPhone, but I like it. And yes, I'm very lazy.
After much thought, I'm holding off on more changes. Too much change for my blood right now, so things are back to normal for the most part. If and when we get an influx of iPod Touch users, then perhaps it's time for a mass merging and reorganization. I think we've had enough change for the week.

I do think the current additional categories will help the iPhone users and provide good categories to get iPod Touch users involved.

Here's what's new:
Software
  • Third Party Applications (this will keep all the discussion of third party apps in one neat place leaving iPhone Software for issues related to software that came with the iPhone).
  • DVD to iPhone and iPod Touch (These threads are the number one culprit of threads that show up in the wrong forums. Now they have a home, so no more excuses.)
  • iPhone Cases (a lot of good info and posts were cluttered in the iPhone Accessories forum. Breaking this out makes for a valuable forum category for people considering a case for their iPhone).
iPod Touch now has it's own section
  • iPod Touch
  • iPod Touch Accessories
  • iPod Touch Hacks
While the changes will subside for now, please use this forum if you have suggestions.

Thanks for all the feedback.

-Chris

Jun 26, 2007
its been a crazy few days for EIP/EIC
just getting used to the changes here

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Not sure I like the new forum changes.

For starters I don't quite get the Apple iphone-->General forum, as it seems Apple iphone--> iPhone should cover that. (Yes I know this isn't new, it's always puzzled me.)

The other is Apple iphone-->iPhone Software. If you took out every post in that forum that wasn't about "Phone and iPod Touch software that comes with your device" it would be empty. I don't see the Third Party Applications forum as an acceptable substitute. In addition it seems odd that iPhone Software is actually for the iPhone and iPod Touch, when the iPod Touch already has its own major heading.

As I write this 224 people are viewing Apple iphone-->iPhone Software yet only 67 people are viewing Software-->Third Party Applications. I would need to check both of those forums, plus the equally related Modifications, in order to see conversations that are in many cases the same.

Ugh, this is getting to be like work...

--
Mike

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure I like the new forum changes.

For starters I don't quite get the Apple iphone-->General forum, as it seems Apple iphone--> iPhone should cover that. (Yes I know this isn't new, it's always puzzled me.)

The other is Apple iphone-->iPhone Software. If you took out every post in that forum that wasn't about "Phone and iPod Touch software that comes with your device" it would be empty. I don't see the Third Party Applications forum as an acceptable substitute. In addition it seems odd that iPhone Software is actually for the iPhone and iPod Touch, when the iPod Touch already has its own major heading.

As I write this 224 people are viewing Apple iphone-->iPhone Software yet only 67 people are viewing Software-->Third Party Applications. I would need to check both of those forums, plus the equally related Modifications, in order to see conversations that are in many cases the same.

Ugh, this is getting to be like work...

--
Mike
The iPhone topic is generally for "hardware" related issues. General is more of the potpourri of iPhone discussion. When you can find a suitable home for your topic, it ends up in General Discussion. Let's face it, there are some topics that you would want muddling up the iPhone category. They are however iPhone related.

iPhone Software is slowing morphing into the "newbie" section. Each day more and more folks get new iPhones and have questions regarding the software that shipped with their device.

With regards to activity in Third Party Applications, I do agree...and I think this is in part to the fact it's completely new and it's huddled below. Based on your suggestion, I'm going to move it up right below iPhone Software. This should make it visible and allow folks to find easily enough.

I'm definitely not trying to mess too much with the site, but it's difficult organizing things and opening the forums up to iPod Touch users. In the end, I'm hoping to drive membership and activity here at EIC. I'll do what I can to avoid bumps in the road or at least make them easier to handle.

This discussion helps out enormously.

-Chris

Last edited:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The iPhone topic is generally for "hardware" related issues. General is more of the potpourri of iPhone discussion. When you can find a suitable home for your topic, it ends up in General Discussion. Let's face it, there are some topics that you would want muddling up the iPhone category. They are however iPhone related.

iPhone Software is slowing morphing into the "newbie" section. Each day more and more folks get new iPhones and have questions regarding the software that shipped with their device.

With regards to activity in Third Party Applications, I do agree...and I think this is in part to the fact it's completely new and it's huddled below. Based on your suggestion, I'm going to move it up right below iPhone Software. This should make it visible and allow folks to find easily enough.

I'm definitely not trying to mess too much with the site, but it's difficult organizing things and opening the forums up to iPod Touch users. In the end, I'm hoping to drive membership and activity here at EIC. I'll do what I can to avoid bumps in the road or at least make them easier to handle.

This discussion helps out enormously.

-Chris
yes, it's easy to point out something isn't quite right. Not so easy to suggest a way to do it better. ;)

I personally welcome iPod Touch users, but also understand it's not a phone. I mention that because those of us with iPhones may--just may--have a bigger attachment to our iPhones than to iPods due to the fact we use it every day as a phone too.

But OTOH with the iPod Touch being so similar, there has to be overlap as far as interest is concerned--and probably a lot of it. That should be a good thing.

I do like that Third Party Applications are in the iPhone section now. Don't know what that will do for iPod Touch users though (I expect they'll still use it).

Wow, the more I think about this the harder it is...

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator: