Repair DIY and antenna signal

CKbass

Mar 31, 2009
Hello,
I work as a repair tech and have been performing motherboard level soldering on over 200 laptops so far. I disassembled my iPhone 3G to repair myself and when I was done the antenna signal is sporadic at best or it says no service and seems to be worse when held in hand. The strange thing is that in certain geographical locations it works fine with a bit of breakup on the other parties listening side; this makes me think that the signal is merely super week. Is there a grounding issue I might have missed? Where is the antenna for that matter and what cable connects it?

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
All i have to say dude its that you should have not messed with it. Just bc you fix computer does not mean you can take a part a phone and fix the antenna in it.

Good luck getting your phone fix!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The Real bad news is that by taking your phone apart, you voided your warranty.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Not much anyone here can do except wish you luck.

CKbass

Mar 31, 2009
Yeah so I guess my overzealous tinkering habit cost me a few bucks, could be worse. At least I know how to disassemble an iPhone in less than 2 min now :) It might come in handy at some point. If I find out the root cause as to why the signal is sporadic I'll share.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Just put it back together and no one will know.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
damn... I didn't think of that.

hardcorp

Mar 22, 2009
So did the 200 laptops work after you were done?... Just wondering..

Chasmanian

Feb 9, 2009
The antenna should connect via a standard rf connector. If the signal is weak, try crimping the connection a little tighter. It can't ground to the case obviously so the only other option is the mb itself. Also is the sim card making good contact? I've heard of that causing a similar problem. Hope this helps.

cuda

Apr 2, 2009
dissamble your phone and try to sure all connections(lines) leading to the ant(buzzzer the connection in/out 2 sure grounding) , comparing it with a similar device at the same location .if not the same check your ant,, (thats wat i think)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
the antenna signal is sporadic at best or it says no service and seems to be worse when held in hand. The strange thing is that in certain geographical locations it works fine with a bit of breakup on the other parties listening side; this makes me think that the signal is merely super week. Is there a grounding issue I might have missed? Where is the antenna for that matter and what cable connects it?
I had the same issue (sporadic and certain locations), but an exchange took care of that. May have been from the cracking of the phone and may have dislodged the antenna connection.

The Antenna is the metal ring around the phone. I'll have to look at my old post, I have one with pictures of a black iPhone disassembled.

CKbass

Mar 31, 2009
So did the 200 laptops work after you were done?... Just wondering..
Maybe one or two... JK, I think I messed one up in my early days, but thats way behind me now. Motherboard level soldering is what I do and when the laptops come to me with either a bad jack or fuse, I fix it. Otherwise that crap is too hard to trouble shoot for a 3rd party repair.;)

CKbass

Mar 31, 2009
The antenna should connect via a standard rf connector. If the signal is weak, try crimping the connection a little tighter. It can't ground to the case obviously so the only other option is the mb itself. Also is the sim card making good contact? I've heard of that causing a similar problem. Hope this helps.
Thanks! This is good info.

johinho

Dec 5, 2008
hi, i know this was discussed ages ago. but did you resolve the issue. I have a similar problem and i have ruled everything out bar the logic board itself. the problem follows the logic board. if you did or anyone else knows something else i can try, let me know. the phones i used were out of warranty, so i wasn't worried about taking them apart.

dg3787

Dec 13, 2009
I recently had the same issue after taking apart my phone. It was also outside of warranty. It doesn't pick up reception unless I am in areas where there is a very strong signal. Even then its sparatic. If you guys figure this one out please post. I will do the same. I replaced the dock assembly, which the antenna is attached to and it didn't help.
thanks
Ernie

Dec 27, 2010
hey, i ahve the same problem with my iPhone 4 did you ever fix it?. please help thanks!