Repair Needed Message

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Andy_Panda

Bronze
May 3, 2007
Lately my phone has been acting
very strangely. Basically I just don't
get any signal. I tried restarting it
and it dosnt do anything. I restored
it to and its fine for a bit but then
it goes back to no signal after a
while. The other thing is that when
I don't have any signal I cant play
my music or videos. Does that mean
maybe my sim card is damaged?

I'm gonna take it in today but
do any of you have any suggestions?

Andy_Panda

Bronze
May 3, 2007
Ive never dropped it in water

I have brought it into the bathroom
with me once when I was taking a shower
Maybe the moister did somehting

Ive dropped it on the floor once when I first
got it and 3 more time but from my leg to
the carpet floor

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Ive never dropped it in water

I have brought it into the bathroom
with me once when I was taking a shower
Maybe the moister did somehting

Ive dropped it on the floor once when I first
got it and 3 more time but from my leg to
the carpet floor
Look straight down in to the headphone jack and see if you can see a white dot. If you cant then it is water damage.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Could very well be the moisture from the shower.
Often times I go to bring my phone into the bathroom to listen for a call or email while in the shower (not to answer it, just to know one came in) but then remember at the last minute that all the steam and moisture could adversely affect the phone.

Andy_Panda

Bronze
May 3, 2007
Yeah, my friend told me that
it screwed up his phone, after
that I started leaving it in my room haha

I was wondering if maybe it was a cause
of iBrickr

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Look straight down in to the headphone jack and see if you can see a white dot. If you cant then it is water damage.
Wait, what? I am curious, where is this from. I have never heard of this and if true is great information as I have gotten caught in the rain while riding and have been worried in those cases about the phone.

Andy_Panda

Bronze
May 3, 2007
Well, I cant MAKE the message come up.
I just appears randomly. Usually when
the slide screen is up.

My friend puts his iPhone in a ziplock
bag so rain dosnt get on it haha

good idea trhough

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I had the same exact thing happen to me randomly. My phone did not have an water damage and I didn't have it in the bathroom either. The Apple Store couldn't figure it out so they swapped it out for a new one.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Wait, what? I am curious, where is this from. I have never heard of this and if true is great information as I have gotten caught in the rain while riding and have been worried in those cases about the phone.
I was at the AT&T store and a guy was complaining that something was wrong with his phone and 'it was nothing he did'. The AT&T tech looked down the hole and said: 'Apple put a water damage indicator in there that is easy to see so they don't get a bunch or warranty phones that really got wet'.

He sent the guy on his way. So I took out my phone and looked down the headphone jack and sure enough it is white.

Pretty clever if you ask me.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
That is great info to know. I don't mind being responsible for my own actions, at least this will let me see if I am doing the unit harm!

dewey

Jun 29, 2007
Lately my phone has been acting
very strangely. Basically I just don't
get any signal. I tried restarting it
and it dosnt do anything. I restored
it to and its fine for a bit but then
it goes back to no signal after a
while. The other thing is that when
I don't have any signal I cant play
my music or videos. Does that mean
maybe my sim card is damaged?

I'm gonna take it in today but
do any of you have any suggestions?
I just bought a new iPhone last Wednesday. Thursday afternoon the same thing happened to me. I turned the phone off and when it came back on everything was fine. It happened again a couple of times of Friday. I contacted AT&T and spoke to someone regarding the iPhone. They had never heard of this message, but they gave me a repair # and told me to go to the Apple store and get a new phone. I tried to save the repair message, but the battery was dead on Saturday morning. While I was recharging the phone I had service and sent a text message to my family to let them know the phone wasn't working. When I took the phone off of the charger I couldn't even turn it back on. The Genius at the Apple store tried charging it and couldn't turn it on either.

Bottom line new iPhone working great.

Sep 12, 2007
I was at the AT&T store and a guy was complaining that something was wrong with his phone and 'it was nothing he did'. The AT&T tech looked down the hole and said: 'Apple put a water damage indicator in there that is easy to see so they don't get a bunch or warranty phones that really got wet'.

He sent the guy on his way. So I took out my phone and looked down the headphone jack and sure enough it is white.

Pretty clever if you ask me.
Mine looks silver.. is that what you're calling white? What color is it if there has been water damage? My phone has never been wet.. I'm just curious.

Kanyon71

Sep 5, 2007
Most phones out now have the sticker. The ones I've seen turn red when they get wet. I know someone who dunked theirs on accident and then just made a new water sticker to replace the old one. Not real honest but it worked (no it wasn't an iPhone)

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
We used these water damage indicators on everything when I was in the navy. It is not new technology. It was just clever how Apple implemented it.

Other cellphones use a sticker which can easily be replaced as one of the other post in this thread pointed out.