Repeated dropped calls, disappearing bars

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
I have two problems I've experienced in the last couple of days. The first was very annoying... After having a solid 4 bars of edge I got a message that said NO SERVICE and I was without service in the middle of Minneapolis for half an hour (about midnight Monday). Anyone else have this problem?

Also, today (and several times in the recent past) I had 4 solid bars and an important call was suddenly dropped and I tried to re-dial 7 times, each call failing. Finally, I powered down and restarted and was able to complete the call. I have never seen problems like this with my Razor.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I have two problems I've experienced in the last couple of days. The first was very annoying... After having a solid 4 bars of edge I got a message that said NO SERVICE and I was without service in the middle of Minneapolis for half an hour (about midnight Monday). Anyone else have this problem?

Also, today (and several times in the recent past) I had 4 solid bars and an important call was suddenly dropped and I tried to re-dial 7 times, each call failing. Finally, I powered down and restarted and was able to complete the call. I have never seen problems like this with my Razor.
I had an issue with this last night. I just powered down the phone and turned it back on and the issue was resolved.

It's annoying, but at least there is a work around.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
i have had this ongoing issue as well.. all other programs work flawlessly.. except the phone when i am at work. my fifty dollor nokia holds a better signal. i checked with AT&T and where i work is a "moderate coverage area". still doesn't explain why a nokia can hold a call. i have a feeling this is a network congestion issue due to the obcene amount of new activations..?!

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
My Wife has an issue with her iPhone saying no service at times. She can be standing next to me and I have service. Wasn't sure if related to hardware or software. Will watch this post an see what comes out of it.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

This is a common problem with AT&T's network. As I had mentioned in a previous post, their network is rated very poorly. One critic said "if Verizon's slogan is "Can you hear me now?" At&T's slogan should be called "I'm losing you"

A recent article called "Ten Reasons Why You Shouldn't Buy An iPhone" mentions AT&T's network. Here is the link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288701,00.html

And a link to CNET's user opinions and experience with AT&T: http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/at-38-t-formerly/4852-6454_7-32137726.html?tag=uoavrg

Stuck With AT&T

One of the worst things that Apple ever did was to sign a five-year exclusive agreement with AT&T to be the wireless provider for the iPhone. Five years!

So if you use Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile or some other provider, you can't get an iPhone unless you switch to AT&T.

To date AT&T doesn't seem to have all that great of a reputation as a mobile service provider.

I can't speak from experience because I've never used them, but isn't it odd how a fossil from telephone-service days gone by (AT&T) ended up in bed with Apple, a company that likes to pride itself on being "cutting edge"? It's the telecom marriage made in hell!

What exactly was Apple thinking here? Did it deliberately decide to screw over customers on other services?

We'll never know what on earth was going through Steve Jobs' head when he made this wacky decision (was his turtleneck so tight it cut off the blood supply to his head?) but anybody on a different wireless carrier will have to live with it unless they want to switch to AT&T.

epic

Jul 8, 2007
New Jersey
when I first got the iPhone I had no problems what so ever with phone calls until today. Calls have dropped non stop. Before the calls were dropped I know I had full bars of service as I always do in my house.

The call would drop and then I would have no service until I powered down. I have been a Cingular customer for about 5 years now and I have never experiened this happening to me with any other phones that I have owned.

I am trying to give the iPhone and AT&T the benefit of the doubt before I go off and start complaining. Hopefully its just a network issue with AT&T. I think they weren't prepared at all for so many new subscribers at one time

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I can say its not a network issue on this end since my Wife is the only one with the issue as of now. Also, being a long time At&t customer we never had any issues with dropped calls and no service until Apple came in bed. I believe it has be related to other issues as the phone does crash a lot.

As for the network issues, the EDGE network was being overloaded and At&t is adding lines to handle it. Once EDGE is overloaded you loose lines and drop down to 1 line around 40 from the 5 lines you would use to obtain 200.

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
It may well be an ATT issue, but my most recent iPhone has a much better signal that my previous one. The other iPhone would drop every other call and go into no service mode and not come out unless it had a reset. It just wan't a very good phone. You may need to return the phone for a replacement.

lectioneer

Jul 1, 2007
I switched from T-mobile and find the service from AT&T to be lacking in my area. Customer service has improved somewhat from the OLD AT&T but the taste is still there and won't go away soon. T-mobile was and us a much more consistent provider.

AmyLyn

Bronze
I truly think as much as I hate to say it, that it is the phone and not the service. I have been a Cingular/AT&T subscriber for over 5 years now and I had a LG, a RAZR and before this phone an 8125 pda phone. I NEVER dropped calls like I do on the iPhone. My husband got my old phone to use for his and we can be standing in the SAME place and I will have little or no bars and his will be full. I think it is the phone.. :(