Replace The System Sound

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

flipto

Jul 18, 2007
These instructions were contributed by "Christian" "Ksilebo", and "TkN". For the ultimate in customization, you can follow these steps to change your system sounds for new mail, new sms, new voicemail, et cetera. Remember you will be updating the system sounds, you can always restore them with a full restore or one by one by using the backups in the 39.dmg file.

The default system files in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
alarm.caf
dtmf-2.caf
beep-beep.caf
dtmf-0.caf
dtmf-1.caf
dtmf-3.caf
dtmf-4.caf
dtmf-5.caf
dtmf-6.caf
dtmf-7.caf
dtmf-8.caf
dtmf-9.caf
dtmf-pound.caf
dtmf-star.caf
lock.caf
long_low_short_high.caf
low_power.caf
mail-sent.caf
middle_9_short_double_low.caf
new-mail.caf
photoShutter.caf
ReceivedMessage.caf
RingerChanged.caf
SentMessage.caf
short_double_high.caf
short_double_low.caf
short_low_high.caf
SIMToolkitCallDropped.caf
SIMToolkitGeneralBeep.caf
SIMToolkitNegativeACK.caf
SIMToolkitPositiveACK.caf
SIMToolkitSMS.caf
sms-received.caf
Tink.caf
Tock.caf
unlock.caf
ussd.caf
Voicemail.caf

Step 1

Choose a file, convert it to .aif using QuickTime and rename the .aif to .caf. The .caf sould have the exact same name as the system file you are trying to replace (i.e. yourCustom.aif becomes new-mail.caf).

Step 2

Put the new .caf file in the phonedmg folder used earlier.

Step 3

In the Terminal type: putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/name of whatever you are changing.caf Then press the enter key.

http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_ringtone_installation_windows.html

Make sure you are converting it right or you will not hear the sound or your iPhoneinterface will crash.

First: Use Quicktime and Choose A File...[Size of the file don't matter? I am using full songs]

Second: Export The File

Third: Rename the file to .caf [Note: you must rename the .caf here..not anywhere else]

Make sure the File is right..

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
These instructions were contributed by "Christian" "Ksilebo", and "TkN". For the ultimate in customization, you can follow these steps to change your system sounds for new mail, new sms, new voicemail, et cetera. Remember you will be updating the system sounds, you can always restore them with a full restore or one by one by using the backups in the 39.dmg file.

The default system files in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
alarm.caf
dtmf-2.caf
beep-beep.caf
dtmf-0.caf
dtmf-1.caf
dtmf-3.caf
dtmf-4.caf
dtmf-5.caf
dtmf-6.caf
dtmf-7.caf
dtmf-8.caf
dtmf-9.caf
dtmf-pound.caf
dtmf-star.caf
lock.caf
long_low_short_high.caf
low_power.caf
mail-sent.caf
middle_9_short_double_low.caf
new-mail.caf
photoShutter.caf
ReceivedMessage.caf
RingerChanged.caf
SentMessage.caf
short_double_high.caf
short_double_low.caf
short_low_high.caf
SIMToolkitCallDropped.caf
SIMToolkitGeneralBeep.caf
SIMToolkitNegativeACK.caf
SIMToolkitPositiveACK.caf
SIMToolkitSMS.caf
sms-received.caf
Tink.caf
Tock.caf
unlock.caf
ussd.caf
Voicemail.caf

Step 1

Choose a file, convert it to .aif using QuickTime and rename the .aif to .caf. The .caf sould have the exact same name as the system file you are trying to replace (i.e. yourCustom.aif becomes new-mail.caf).

Step 2

Put the new .caf file in the phonedmg folder used earlier.

Step 3

In the Terminal type: putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/name of whatever you are changing.caf Then press the enter key.

http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_ringtone_installation_windows.html

Make sure you are converting it right or you will not hear the sound or your iPhoneinterface will crash.

First: Use Quicktime and Choose A File...[Size of the file don't matter? I am using full songs]

Second: Export The File

Third: Rename the file to .caf [Note: you must rename the .caf here..not anywhere else]

Make sure the File is right..
where is this 39.dmg file you speak of? some of us want to change but would like back ups just incase
TIA

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
There is an easier way that I just tried. Just rename the file to the one that you are replacing but make the extension to ".caf" without the qoutes. There is no need to do any conversion in quicktime at all.

flipto

Jul 18, 2007
There is an easier way that I just tried. Just rename the file to the one that you are replacing but make the extension to ".caf" without the qoutes. There is no need to do any conversion in quicktime at all.
I tried that but doesn't work for me.

ae_wu

Jul 22, 2007
System Sounds

Hey guys I have a question I have changed the SMS received message .caf file and I also changed the .aiff file that is in the application folder. Now my question is that my sound I uploaded only plays if I'm not in sms not when I'm in the program. I have replaced the file in the application folder with the new sound file and can't get it to play can someone please try to see if they can figure this out please.

Jul 21, 2007
Does anyone know how to change the volume of a system sound?

I uploaded the Transformers sound for when I unlock the phone, but its kind of loud. It's really cool though.... but I want to make it a little quiter.

Please help! THanks!

meanvdub

Jul 28, 2007
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but...

It looks like the author of this is running vista.

#1, how in the heck do you get quicktime player on vista
#2, how do you rename a file like that on vista

?

boitano

May 3, 2008
Does anyone know how to change the volume of a system sound?

I uploaded the Transformers sound for when I unlock the phone, but its kind of loud. It's really cool though.... but I want to make it a little quiter.

Please help! THanks!

to erwinespiritu:
Use free program Audacity, it has volume control for output file... :cool:
(better is program mpTrim but before you have to convert files to mp3)

to trojan21: It works for me as well. Only renamed and paste using winSCP ;)

to meanvdub:
Just download quicktime player for Vista
to rename files just unmark option in folder option menu "hide extensions for known file types" (see picture) and you will be able to change file type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2009
I'm bringing this back from the dead. I would love to have these sounds uploaded again. The original link doesn't work anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.