Replaced iPhone at Apple Store today.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
As some of you might remember over the past two weeks i've posted how my iPhone has constantly been crashing due to unknown problems. Even after restoring and not having any jailbreak on the phone yet again it crashed for the third time. Luckily the guy on the support line for Apple when I called last time for this same problem added notes onto my account just saying if I have this problem again to replace my handset in the store no questions asked. Well I asked the guy at the genius bar about the replacement handset and specifically stated and I quote "Is this replacement handset a brand new iPhone or a refurbished." He told me it was brand new. Now that i'm thinking about it if the phone he gave me was technically brand new should'nt it have come straight out of the wrapping and sealed box? I made sure to bring everything that came with my original phone just so I had no problems with them swapping out my phone. But he just took a "new" iPhone out of the counter from wherever was not sealed or anything but looked never used and set me up with that. Now is there any way to make sure this handset is brand new and not a "certified" refurb? I did'nt pay $400 to get a phone made of used parts from junk phones. If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
As some of you might remember over the past two weeks i've posted how my iPhone has constantly been crashing due to unknown problems. Even after restoring and not having any jailbreak on the phone yet again it crashed for the third time. Luckily the guy on the support line for Apple when I called last time for this same problem added notes onto my account just saying if I have this problem again to replace my handset in the store no questions asked. Well I asked the guy at the genius bar about the replacement handset and specifically stated and I quote "Is this replacement handset a brand new iPhone or a refurbished." He told me it was brand new. Now that i'm thinking about it if the phone he gave me was technically brand new should'nt it have come straight out of the wrapping and sealed box? I made sure to bring everything that came with my original phone just so I had no problems with them swapping out my phone. But he just took a "new" iPhone out of the counter from wherever was not sealed or anything but looked never used and set me up with that. Now is there any way to make sure this handset is brand new and not a "certified" refurb? I did'nt pay $400 to get a phone made of used parts from junk phones. If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks
Each replacement I rec'd came out of a locked cabinet in a box completely sealed up; never opened.

I don't consider reaching under a counter and reaching for something unsealed to be "new." In my mind, if it was previously opened, then it became "used."

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Each replacement I rec'd came out of a locked cabinet in a box completely sealed up; never opened.

I don't consider reaching under a counter and reaching for something unsealed to be "new." In my mind, if it was previously opened, then it became "used."

if he took it out of a white box...most likely refurb. i went through 4 refurbs before they finally just gave me a new one.

However, most of the time the refurb will be fine. I just ran into a string of bad ones i guess :/

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
if he took it out of a white box...most likely refurb. i went through 4 refurbs before they finally just gave me a new one.

However, most of the time the refurb will be fine. I just ran into a string of bad ones i guess :/
It might also be that the Manager of the store you went to, in an attempt to cut down on repeat problems, may require his staff to open the boxes and thoroughly test the new phones before giving them out as replacements. Or I am totally wrong and you got the phone from the guy that turned it in just before you got there due to other problems. Hope not.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Well now this phone while I was at work I got fully functioning before my shift today and when I went to close my store I went to listen to some of my music to make it go by faster. All the music is gone I just got home plugged it into my laptop and it's telling me I need to restore my iPhone yet again. I'm really getting tired of this and I don't have the time for it. So tomorrow i'll be at the Apple Store yet again and this time I want one directly from the back in a new box. This is within the 30 days so this will be the last one I get before I completly lose it in the store thus returning it. I didn't pay $450 to have a phone I have to restore every night of my life. Any thoughts on this ? Please somebody

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
No now the new one is giving me restore problems I know it's not me I just found these iPhones to be "crashing" now for some reason and I don't have the time to take out of my schedule to be restoring this phone every night. I'm thinking about how much I miss my Blackberry Curve more and more now.

tupacinla

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
As some of you might remember over the past two weeks i've posted how my iPhone has constantly been crashing due to unknown problems. Even after restoring and not having any jailbreak on the phone yet again it crashed for the third time. Luckily the guy on the support line for Apple when I called last time for this same problem added notes onto my account just saying if I have this problem again to replace my handset in the store no questions asked. Well I asked the guy at the genius bar about the replacement handset and specifically stated and I quote "Is this replacement handset a brand new iPhone or a refurbished." He told me it was brand new. Now that i'm thinking about it if the phone he gave me was technically brand new should'nt it have come straight out of the wrapping and sealed box? I made sure to bring everything that came with my original phone just so I had no problems with them swapping out my phone. But he just took a "new" iPhone out of the counter from wherever was not sealed or anything but looked never used and set me up with that. Now is there any way to make sure this handset is brand new and not a "certified" refurb? I did'nt pay $400
to get a phone made of used parts from junk phones. If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks
First off let me start off by saying that paragraphs are your friend.

Anyways, it sounds like its a refurbished iPhone. Otherwise it would come in a sealed box. Keep trying, they usually are very helpful, especially within the 30 days. If not, try another Apple store?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Those who KEEP saying 30 days need to get that ish out your mind. Anything related to the iPhone is 14 (FOURTEEN) days.

Just to test that knowledge, I went to 2 different Apple and AT&T stores; during my iPhone tenure. Thats 4 locations that all stated any product related to the iPhone including the iPhone itself only gets a 14 day policy whereas other products not related to iPhone get 30 days.

Now I will say I seriously don't know if those same rules apply anywhere thats not an Apple or AT&T store.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
ok, just going to throw this out there. Please try a different cable in a different USB port.
The reason I say this is because any time I do a restore with the Apple BT headset sual dock, I have all sorts of problems. But when I use the cable that came with the phone, it goes smoothly. Sometimes, the cable is just a piece of crap.
The reason I suggest this is because you keep having the same exact issue with different phones. Of the million or so phones out there, the likelyhood of you scoring 4 phones in a row with the exact same problem is very low. Possible, but not probable, so I would start looking at the other components used to connect to iTunes. I would also suggest maybe changing the version of iTunes you are using. if you are at 7.5, try going down 1-2 versions.
I'm willing to bet there is another reason for your woes.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
ok, just going to throw this out there. Please try a different cable in a different USB port.
The reason I say this is because any time I do a restore with the Apple BT headset sual dock, I have all sorts of problems. But when I use the cable that came with the phone, it goes smoothly. Sometimes, the cable is just a piece of crap.
The reason I suggest this is because you keep having the same exact issue with different phones. Of the million or so phones out there, the likelyhood of you scoring 4 phones in a row with the exact same problem is very low. Possible, but not probable, so I would start looking at the other components used to connect to iTunes. I would also suggest maybe changing the version of iTunes you are using. if you are at 7.5, try going down 1-2 versions.
I'm willing to bet there is another reason for your woes.
reason I received 4 in a row was because of 4 separate issues,

1st one overheated during over night charge and burnt lines into the screen 2nd one headphone jack didn't work,
3rd one looked like the screen previously was cracked and they try replace the screen but didn't seal it correctly
4th about 20 stuck pixels

5th works like a charm.

however mine were all hardware problems.

So try a different cord and see if that works. a small chance that it could be the problem. but remember you only can sync music from one comp with the iPhone unlike ipods