Replacement black enclosure!

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Have you guys seen this?! You can now buy a back enclosure in black for the iPhone. Check it out HERE

It does take a little bit of grease work, but the full tutorial of DYI has been posted HERE at MacRumors.:laugh2:

I ordered one! It will be fun to be able to switch covers every so often when I need a fashion change ;)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Talk about a great way to void your warranty. Of course, you would have to change it back if you needed service on your iPhone. Btw, ifixit.com has full pics on how to take apart an iPhone to replace the various parts they sell.

Joe

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I don't plan on tearing my phone apart, but that does look awfuly cool :cool:

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Have you guys seen this?! You can now buy a back enclosure in black for the iPhone. Check it out HERE

It does take a little bit of grease work, but the full tutorial of DYI has been posted HERE at MacRumors.:laugh2:

I ordered one! It will be fun to be able to switch covers every so often when I need a fashion change ;)
yah i think there was already a post about that somewhere on here. it does look pretty tight but it would take a lot of hard CAREFUL work so you don't break anything inside. plus it would void the warranty. and about changing it every so often, after you change it to black the first time i don't think you are gonna wanna change it back again. i know i would get so frustrated at how long it takes mak,ing sure you do everything with very very good percision.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
yah i think there was already a post about that somewhere on here. it does look pretty tight but it would take a lot of hard CAREFUL work so you don't break anything inside. plus it would void the warranty. and about changing it every so often, after you change it to black the first time i don't think you are gonna wanna change it back again. i know i would get so frustrated at how long it takes mak,ing sure you do everything with very very good percision.
Yeah, I searched before I posted but I didn't come up with anything.

And taking things apart is relaxing sometimes... plus I just hate the bulk of all the cases and covers I've found... so minute scratches to this thing would make me feel less sick to my stomach ;)

And yes, taking it apart most definitely voids whatever warranty you have... but then again, so do hacking and modding your phone software too :p

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Yeah, I searched before I posted but I didn't come up with anything.

And taking things apart is relaxing sometimes... plus I just hate the bulk of all the cases and covers I've found... so minute scratches to this thing would make me feel less sick to my stomach ;)

And yes, taking it apart most definitely voids whatever warranty you have... but then again, so do hacking and modding your phone software too :p
wow you are the complete opiste of me lol, i took apart my old phone that i had, (which didn't really matter cause it was free with $100 rebate) and ripped some cord by accident and since then i wouldn't dare taking apart my phone, especially cause everytime i get a new phone, it is more expensive then the past one.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Of course if I ever do ding up my silver case really bad... it's nice to see one can get a new one for cheap

:cool:

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
I just posted in another thread too that I wanted a matte black back and the chrome surrounds in gloss black, damn that black back cover is sick!

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If this is really an OEM Apple part, why do you suppose they are making them AND selling them? I can't imagine they're doing it so that we butcher our phones to install them. If they're making them for special versions of the iPhone yet to be released, then why are they selling them now?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
If this is really an OEM Apple part, why do you suppose they are making them AND selling them? I can't imagine they're doing it so that we butcher our phones to install them. If they're making them for special versions of the iPhone yet to be released, then why are they selling them now?
I do not think they are OEM. I think a 3rd party company is making them and using the Apple logo without consent or they are simply painting the OEM silver casing.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
there probably from the iPhones that they took apart and switched the backs out and stuff so i guess maybe some can be actaully oem but idk

nevermind i just saw how it dosent have the writing on the back soo it isn't oem.