Replacement for 3 defective iPhones

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I really , truly think the iPhone is fantastic! However mine was defective.

My first iPhone battery only lasted 2 hours, plus the device was running hot so I took it back to the Apple store for a new one. The second one was also defective (I'll save you from the long story). The third one was not the "charm" it also was defective so the replacement for that I put on eBay so as not to expose myself to more time and money wasting.

After countless hours on the phone with Apple, exchanging my iPhone for another one 3 times, I finally gave up - at least for now. I will be ready for version 2 of the iPhone when it's available.

In the meantime I ran across this site, and bought one of these:

http://compare.helio.com/?&chid=AF0090&cmpid=BAC-cnet-diglife-f300x250

I'm on day three and the Ocean is a very impressive device. Extremely high build quality, the best keys and keyboard I've ever used, and really fast loading web pages as it's 3G. What a difference compared to the painfully slow iPhone. Also it's nice to have a keyboard again. This one is a keeper, and a lot of fun. Even has a removable battery.

However that said, I'm still and Apple advocate and will wait patiently until they fix all the problems with the iPhone ver 1.0 and discontinue that in favor of iPhone ver 2.0 which I will buy immediately.

I think the original iPhone was rushed to market. It simply has too many problems which is not indicative of what Apple is capable of.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Sorry you had crappy luck with the iPhone. You should play the lottery because the odds of getting three defective phones in a row must be outrageous.
Good luck with your new phone.

Lips2000

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I can see the commercials now...

"Hi. I'm a Helio Ocean"

"and I'm an iPhone"

:D :D :D

Mark

P.S. - Think Helio is a bit nervous?

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
Glad you found something that you are happy with. But your comments that the second and third were "defective" are pretty open-ended. I have three (for three different family members) and all of them are working fine. I don't see any evidence of "rushed to market" outside features that aren't there (like syncing notes for example).

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I totally loved the look and spec of the Helio Ocean but unfortunately we cant get them here in the UK! I have just received a HTC Tytn for my birthday by which I am very impressed! ANything less would be a dissapointment!

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Sorry you had crappy luck with the iPhone. You should play the lottery because the odds of getting three defective phones in a row must be outrageous.
Good luck with your new phone.
Yes, this was indeed a very rare event. That's why I'm not upset, and mentioned that as soon as ver 2.0 is out I will be buying one right away.

My comment about rushing to the iPhone to market was largely based on my overall knowledge of the iPhone performance as I have 625 employees in my company. About 230 of them purchased iPhones. Of that group 60% are just fine, yet about 40% of them have had some issue from very minor, (no big deal) to quite major.

If it were not for this experience I would have a different viewpoint. And yet let's look at this realistically, it's Apples first phone and super iPod if you will. I think they have done an outstanding job overall for a brand new product packed with cutting edge features and in an arena of the industry that Apple has not participated in previously.

I'm a phone enthusiast, I have a few lines and buy lots of different unlocked unbranded phones for the experience and to have different choices. At any given time I'm usually trying out several new phones, then I keep the ones I like and the others go to ebay.

I'm not married to any brand, however I certainly prefer Apple. Also as a software engineer and cross platform developer I work in Linux, Unix, Windows, and OS X. For my personal laptop I truly prefer my MacBook Pro.

I have been an Apple customer and advocate for a long time and know their patterns well. It's just the nature of how they operate and that's not being negative or critical. They are headed in the right direction and in time we are going to see some truly amazing developments from them.

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have just received a HTC Tytn for my birthday by which I am very impressed! ANything less would be a dissapointment!
Congratulations on your new HTC Tytn. I have one and it's a really great device. I have a lot of mobile phone experience both with regular mobiles and smart phones, having had just about everything available, and I can say that the HTC brand is very impressive and the TyTn model is one of their best.

Cheers...

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Glad you found something that you are happy with. But your comments that the second and third were "defective" are pretty open-ended. I have three (for three different family members) and all of them are working fine. I don't see any evidence of "rushed to market" outside features that aren't there (like syncing notes for example).
I'm thinking that perhaps my post was misunderstood, or perhaps I worded it wrong as I'm not being critical. See the response I just posted above that talks about my employees experiences with iPhones.

Cheers..

sweetice2007

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Congratulations on your new HTC Tytn. I have one and it's a really great device. I have a lot of mobile phone experience both with regular mobiles and smart phones, having had just about everything available, and I can say that the HTC brand is very impressive and the TyTn model is one of their best.

Cheers...
Have you had the Nokia E65 smartphone? i thought it was pretty great when i had it, the sony ericsson 950i walkman phone/smartphone is great too, i still have the w950i by sony and it does so much!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I dunno what you guys are talking about, my notes sync just fine. Maybe you mean you can't edit them, on the computer side? That much is true. But, it does back them up when you sync....

The Helio was definitely something I was looking at, if I had decided not to buy the iPhone. The feature list is RICH, to say the least.
:cool:

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Have you had the Nokia E65 smartphone? i thought it was pretty great when i had it, the sony ericsson 950i walkman phone/smartphone is great too, i still have the w950i by sony and it does so much!
Yes, I'm such a phone addict.....:)

First E model Nokia I purchased was the E60. That was last summer. It was a really great phone without a camera which was perfect during the week as some of my work is classified and my security clearance and NDA specifically prohibit camera phones. What I really liked about the E60 was it had WiFi that worked better (in terms of picking up and holding the signal) than any other phone up to that point. Also the battery life was outstanding as was the keyboard and build quality. All very nice.

Then the E65 was the next Nokia Smartphone and it is quite nice from a standpoint of a good balance of size and functionality. This is one of the phones I call "Keepers" and put into my collection, as I did with the E60.

I buy and evaluate phones individually, as opposed to claiming that "this __(fill in the blank)___ phone is better than that phone. Or that "this brand" is better than "that brand"

That said, what I do practice is to write about the experience in the various forums, as I know as a fact that the companies that are building these products monitor these forums for feedback and to see what public acceptance is like regarding their product and each model they produce. Therefore each of us that take the time to write about our experiences, make a difference in what the mfg chooses to build in the future.

For me it's about appreciating the technology and how it's implemented by the different manufacturers. I never rule out a phone just because it's lacking a certain feature. One of the reasons is that as and engineer, I understand how hard it is to build a product that will appeal to a large audience. We are all looking for a combination of features that suits our needs. That's the good news. However conversely from a manufacturing standpoint, that's the challenge.

So, since everything, every product is a compromise of features, form factor and various other considerations, I find it fun to try as many as I have time for. I maintain a few lines so I can switch between phones easily during the course of the day or evening depending on what I'm doing. In the past I was swapping sims but this became time consuming and I could not evaluate as many phones as conveniently as I can with a few different lines. I typically forward calls from the various lines all to the primary phone of the day.

Finally, one of the most fun aspects of this is the endless supply of new phones streaming out of the different companies. The unlocked, unbranded phone businesss provides us with a mind boggling array of phones, from which to choose from.

Cheers....:)

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Wow. The resoultion quality and web browsing on that phone are absolutely horrid and the keyboard seems very crammed.
Yeah on the web site you cannot tell what it's like.

Compared to the other smart phones I've owned like Treo, BlackBerry, Moto-Q and Samsung Blackjack, my Helio Ocean is really amazing. I have large hands and the dual keyboards are really easy to use with lots of room. Having one for text and a numeric keyboard for the phone is a brilliant solution, it's easy to type really fast on the dedicated qwerty keyboard.

The QVGA display is particularly bright and clear, with great color depth and saturation. They also have great quality control as three of my friends ordered them at the same time as I placed my order, and all of these are perfect. No dead or stuck pixels. Great call quality with lots of volume and a wide range of adjustment. They put a lot of thought into this device, and it shows. Everything has been very smooth, activation was instant, and web page loading with 3G is incredibly fast. They did a great job of maximizing this browser as I have other 3G smart phones and none load web pages as fast as this one.

I did a side by side comparison with my brothers iPhone on EDGE and my Helio Ocean running 3G and the speed at which web pages load is so much faster than the waiting that is required when surfing the web on the iPhone.

Prior to ordering this model I had seen a couple of the other, older models and I found it very interesting how the applications were implemented. Then when they announced the Ocean model, which is a quantum leap above the others I thought it would be fun to try one. I really did not expect it to be as outstanding as it is. At that time I had read some very positive reviews, but I had no idea what Helio had accomplished with the Ocean.

I did not realize Helio is the leader in high tech features all built into one device. There are several areas where they are much more advanced than the Apple iPhone. They have built in GPS that's really fantastic as it works seamlessly with Google Maps in real time. The way the zoom feature is controlled is also smoother and faster than Apples way that forces you to pinch your fingers on the display. When I first got my iPhone it was fun and a novelty, however once the newness wore off, pinching the display was boring and not all that accurate.

Also since there are four of us with Oceans, it's lots of fun playing the 3D multi player games. This is one of the areas it really excels at is gaming. The reality of the 3D effects is positively outstanding. It takes the experience to the next level.

Another feature that is quite valuable is the ability to download music over the air. This is very handy as you do not have to be near a computer. You can get new music at any time and the download speed over the air is faster than getting music off iTunes. That said, I am wondering why Apple uses the old school way of downloading music using a wire and cradle connected to the computer. Very low tech.

Helio included a flash and zoom on the camera. That makes a huge difference for indoor photos. In fact even my Sony Ericsson K790a has a strong flash. I'm wondering why Apple forgot to put a flash and zoom on the iPhone? It seems like a rather major oversight. Especially since it results in rather poor pictures.

Perhaps Apple will have newer technology on the second generation iPhone. Since Helio is the current leader it may be that Apple did not want to copy them.

Anyway, I will be buying the second generation iPhone no matter what it's like as I'm very pro Apple, and I'm sure that many of the shortcomings of the current model will have been resolved.

An example of what Apple is capable of, is my new two week old MacBook Pro with the new LED back lighting in the display. It's so fast and runs windows natively faster than a fully loaded ThinkPad does. What's so interesting, is that Apple leads the way in some area's like the new MBP, yet they left off some current technology that should have been on the iPhone. One wonders that they are thinking?

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Original post is nothing but spam from an iPhone hater. Every thread he has posted in were negative in nature.

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Original post is nothing but spam from an iPhone hater. Every thread he has posted in were negative in nature.
Someone is giving you bad advice. Think for yourself and read the articles. Each clearly states that I am a satisfied Apple customer and have been for a long time.

Or perhaps it's just your insecurities and fear that cause you to call people haters. If you read every post as negative in nature then perhaps thats all your looking for. You are failing to see the positive points made, and the confidence I have in Apple. That I use an Apple laptop, and own a few new iPods. And have said positive things about them repeatedly in my posts.

Then again, perhaps you cannot deal with the truth. Every product has it's pros and cons. Apparently it's too much for you, and you take it personally thereby justifying in your mind that it's OK to act like an adolescent and call people names.

Perhaps you lack the ability to engage in an intelligent exchange of ideas, experiences and conversation about a product. I would understand that as it's in the tone and in your words.