Replacement V1 Different?

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, so I was able to convince the Genius and his manager to replace my V1 with the unresponsive lower portion of the touchscreen with a new V1. It came preloaded with firmware 2.0. I was able to restore and sync with my laptop and all is good.

No JB yet. Will hang a bit and make sure this one doesn't have any snafus/ Quick question. Other than the firmware, what is different about the replacement? It feel lighter. Or is that my imagination?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't think there are any/can be any differences for the same phone.

IMO, it's just your imagination. ;)

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Really? I think the back is now made out of plastic. I have to compare with my buddies' V1's at work on Monday. Thank for the feedback. It doesn't matter really. I had a brick on my hands that was out of warranty. The Geniuses admonished me for not buying extended AppleCare. Then gave me a new one. So, I can't complain, can I? Plus, I retained my $51.64/ month ATT Pay As You Go plan! Woohoo!

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase the AppleCare coverage on a replacement iPhone?

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
if the back of your new phone is plastic, it means it`s not the v1 iPhone it`s the new 3g iPhone
Well, it's not black and tapered like the 3G's. Nor is it white. It has the same silver and black back as my original V1. It just feels like plastic and it's a lot lighter in the hand. Lighter is better, for sure.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, it's not black and tapered like the 3G's. Nor is it white. It has the same silver and black back as my original V1. It just feels like plastic and it's a lot lighter in the hand. Lighter is better, for sure.
Very interesting.
Not 100% sure, but I think you can buy Apple Care for the phone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think you can only buy AppleCare if you are still within your original warranty period.

Also, the thing about the plastic backing on your replacement V1 sounds interesting. Can you possibly post pictures? Most of the time its easy to tell the difference between aluminum and plastic, especially being silver, IMO.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
when your phone has been off for a while, put your lower lip on the black plastic part at the bottom, then move your lip up to the silver part. The silver part should be noticably colder. It is still metal. That said, I also feel as though my wife's newer v1 feels lighter than my day 1 v1...don't know why.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I am having some issues with my v1 iPhone, ya it's jailbroken but I will blank it out before taking it to an iPhone store. The thing is, when using Safari, the top of the phone tends to get hot. Idk if it's faulty circuitry or w.e. Will they let me get an exchange? and btw I'm not the original owner, but the original owner did leave his sim card inside the phone to proove to me it wasn't a brick, though the sim is unactivated. Lol but yaa back to my question, will they let me get an exchange or must I be the original owner? The original one bought it in March.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
when your phone has been off for a while, put your lower lip on the black plastic part at the bottom, then move your lip up to the silver part. The silver part should be noticably colder. It is still metal. That said, I also feel as though my wife's newer v1 feels lighter than my day 1 v1...don't know why.
Okay, it is noticeable colder. And, comparing it with others' here at work, it seems the same. Hmmm....my mind is playing tricks on me!

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
lol, that thing with the lip was hilarious and @nobbie are you under any kind of medication ?:)) dude, if your phone is the same just let it be

Last edited by a moderator: