Replying to Front Page Articles

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just checked and yes, it does require some type of login. It does a fair job of spam prevention. Had a forum tie-in, but developer wasn't great at updating. It also created a wealth of problems.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We're back on Disqus, for now. I was looking for ways to improve and increase conversation on the blog, so figured I'd give this comment system yet another test run.

For those who comment, I'd welcome your experiences using Disqus on iCafe.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This last week I was ablew to reply to an article without having to log in to another service, so I guess it's working for me again.
I'm pretty sure that was pre-Disqus. I'm considering this a trial period for Disqus, so I might at some point go back to WordPress comments (which you used last week).

Disqus is much better at notifications, has cool features like up-voting and you can drag images directly into comments. Conversely, it's also means a speed hit. I'm monitoring that as well.

We'll see. My flings with Disqus usually last as long as my Android flings.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Do you remember ever getting notifications about an ongoing discussion on the blog?

It's always been hit or miss -- or miss. @Rafagon has commented on occasion how email notifications are odd. I forget the exact issue.

Disqus allows guest commenting. However, it removes any notifications and I'm guessing, it would open up comments to a new breed of spam.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Do you remember ever getting notifications about an ongoing discussion on the blog?

It's always been hit or miss -- or miss. @Rafagon has commented on occasion how email notifications are odd. I forget the exact issue.

Disqus allows guest commenting. However, it removes any notifications and I'm guessing, it would open up comments to a new breed of spam.
I don't remember getting blog discussion notifications offhand.