Reporting spam iMessages

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rafagon, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just got hit with my first spam/unwanted iMessage! Luckily, Apple has a very helpful support document on the topic.

Below is a screenshot of the offending iMessage.

Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, Gucci, Prada, and other more designer handbags? Seriously? For a dude? I mean, come on! Maybe if it had been a pizza coupon for Pizza Hut, I wouldn't be reporting these lowlives to Apple right after I finish writing this post.

So, if you get one of these, don't hesitate to report it posthaste!

photo.PNG

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Wow! So companies with iGadgets are sending ads randomly via iMessage? Bummer!

Sent using iCafe app

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apparently so. And since iMessages can be sent from OS X machines, someone could likely write an OS X app to automate the process for them (I'm not sure if Apple provides APIs for OS X devs to write apps that can use messaging services, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult a feat to accomplish for a seasoned dev even without published APIs).

However, prompt reporting to Apple per the instructions in the support doc should [hopefully] limit the spread of this new annoyance!

Sent using iCafe app

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's a bit of a hassle to report these messages. I got one for Uggs and crap. Took the screenshot, but haven't sent it yet.