request for help: just got 1.0.2 refurb, ziPhone not unlocking/activating

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
so, i got one of the refurb iPhones from AT&T to play around with (i still have my locked 8gb which will remain my "official" iPhone). i was surprised to find that the 4gb refurb still has firmware 1.0.2. from what i can tell, ziPhone 2.5c has no effect on this whatsoever - ziPhone appeared to work, but nothing will download via installer, and i'm still presented with the "activate your new iPhone" screen when i connect it to iTunes (it won't let me restore from the backup file for my 8gb running 1.1.4).

ugh. i have searched (i swear!) but there isn't a lot of current info out there about what to do with a 1.0.2 iPhone now that we're up to 1.1.4. i want to unlock and jailbreak this puppy. i'm on a mac (running leopard 10.5.2). can anyone help? i'm home now and on AIM (marianne at macgirl dot net). :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Don't you just upgrade to 1.1.4 and then Jailbreak it with ZiPhone?

Or am I missing something?

Regarding your restoring your backup, thats a "No No" with ZiPhone. You need to create a new partnership with each jailbreak to avoid all the small quirks like no email, no sound etc. Simply use the Info tab in iTunes to restore all your data.

If you have a lot of webclips like I do, just browse to /var/mobile/Library/Webclips and copy that entire Webclips folder to your Mac. Dump it back on your your refurb once its JB'd on 1.1.4. It won't know the difference, and parse them just fine, you may need to rearrange their order tho, naturally of course.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
when i connect it to iTunes, i get the "set up your iPhone" screen with 2 options - activate as new iPhone or restore. restore doesn't work because the restore file i have is for my 8GB running 1.1.4. no other tabs visible to do anything else.

ziPhone sees the 4gb and seems to have done something. i have the installer app loaded (but when i try to install any packages, i always get an error "package download failed".

and that's where i'm stuck... :(

Don't you just upgrade to 1.1.4 and then Jailbreak it with ZiPhone?

Or am I missing something?

Regarding your restoring your backup, thats a "No No" with ZiPhone. You need to create a new partnership with each jailbreak to avoid all the small quirks like no email, no sound etc. Simply use the Info tab in iTunes to restore all your data.

If you have a lot of webclips like I do, just browse to /var/mobile/Library/Webclips and copy that entire Webclips folder to your Mac. Dump it back on your your refurb once its JB'd on 1.1.4. It won't know the difference, and parse them just fine, you may need to rearrange their order tho, naturally of course.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
when i connect it to iTunes, i get the "set up your iPhone" screen with 2 options - activate as new iPhone or restore. restore doesn't work because the restore file i have is for my 8GB running 1.1.4. no other tabs visible to do anything else.

ziPhone sees the 4gb and seems to have done something. i have the installer app loaded (but when i try to install any packages, i always get an error "package download failed".

and that's where i'm stuck... :(
Alright, I'll try to address this in points so I don't miss anything, please forgive my lack of focus, heh.

1) When you're asked to "Set up as New" you're only creating a new iTunes User profile to sync with.

2) 1.1.3+ backups are not compatible with lower firmwares, the framework involved with the update prevents backwards compatibility.

3) Have you Reinstalled your Community Sources in Installer? If not, please try doing this, and then refreshing the sources accordingly. Installer uses a generic error prompt, and unfortunately when it cannot find a download link its looking for, because its since been moved in an updated source, you'll often times get a "main script error" instead of a more appropriate "download failed" response.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
okay. i'm a dork. i thought that selecting "set up as a new iPhone" would make me activate the iPhone with AT&T (which i don't want to do since i want to use my existing sim from my current 8gb after i unlock the 4gb)...

i'm updating it now... brb... :)

Alright, I'll try to address this in points so I don't miss anything, please forgive my lack of focus, heh.

1) When you're asked to "Set up as New" you're only creating a new iTunes User profile to sync with.

2) 1.1.3+ backups are not compatible with lower firmwares, the framework involved with the update prevents backwards compatibility.

3) Have you Reinstalled your Community Sources in Installer? If not, please try doing this, and then refreshing the sources accordingly. Installer uses a generic error prompt, and unfortunately when it cannot find a download link its looking for, because its since been moved in an updated source, you'll often times get a "main script error" instead of a more appropriate "download failed" response.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
/crosses fingers

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
crap. i only get the connect to iTunes symbol on my screen now and ziPhone won't see it. iTunes only gives the "welcome to your new iPhone" screen and only allows me to continue or cancel... eek!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
So are you referring to when your iPhone is first set up?

Did you by chance not choose to activate this phone in ZiPhone the first time around?

What you may need to now is force the phone into DFU mode to restore it. Are you familiar with how to do this?

Here are some instructions on how to get into DFU mode. ZiPhone should recognize the phone in that mode, as should iTunes.

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

Alternative Method:

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Dock your iPhone with iTunes opened while still holding the home button down and wait for iTunes to tell you that its in restore mode

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
x999x: it's working! you ROCK! thank you! woo hoo! :)

now to explore these sources and all the cool apps i've been reading about for so long!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good for you macgirl - you'll have fun discovering new apps!
So does x999x get some infraction immunity for his help then, like on reality shows? He can be insanely offensive in a thread and have a total pass on infractions?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Good for you macgirl - you'll have fun discovering new apps!
So does x999x get some infraction immunity for his help then, like on reality shows? He can be insanely offensive in a thread and have a total pass on infractions?
thanks! i feel so daring all of a sudden! i really am a geek. :p

excellent idea! i can't officially turn a blind eye (wink wink), but x999x is my hero right now! :laugh2:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hooray!

Glad to hear you're on the up and up macgirl!

I hadn't realized this was your first foray into the modding scene, welcome to the club!

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
is your phone now fully unlocked?(you can use it with Tmobile) I have a phone that's on 1.0.2 thats unlocked for tmobile and I want to update but I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
is your phone now fully unlocked?(you can use it with Tmobile) I have a phone that's on 1.0.2 thats unlocked for tmobile and I want to update but I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
i don't have a t-mobile sim to try it with, but it now works with my AT&T sim from my other iPhone without being prompted for activation in iTunes, which sounds unlocked to me.

since this was my first try at unlocking, i don't feel like i can really give you any advice. i'd say connect to iTunes and click update on the summary tab to get the latest firmware update. after the iPhone re-booted, iTunes would only let me try to activate it, so i used the method described by x999x above to get it into DFU mode. once it was was in that mode, ziPhone could see it and i selected the jailbreak, unlock, and activate button, and that was it!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
i don't have a t-mobile sim to try it with, but it now works with my AT&T sim from my other iPhone without being prompted for activation in iTunes, which sounds unlocked to me.

since this was my first try at unlocking, i don't feel like i can really give you any advice. i'd say connect to iTunes and click update on the summary tab to get the latest firmware update. after the iPhone re-booted, iTunes would only let me try to activate it, so i used the method described by x999x above to get it into DFU mode. once it was was in that mode, ziPhone could see it and i selected the jailbreak, unlock, and activate button, and that was it!
I think that because you're on an official carrier service, ATT, that you don't necessarily need to Unlock your phone, you just needed to Activate to get passed that iTunes setup screen. No harm no foul however, if in the event you ever want to go back, you can restore to a default phone through ZiPhone and start all over with the JB. I recommend you stay where you're at, because if it ain't broke... well, you know what they say ;)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think that because you're on an official carrier service, ATT, that you don't necessarily need to Unlock your phone, you just needed to Activate to get passed that iTunes setup screen. No harm no foul however, if in the event you ever want to go back, you can restore to a default phone through ZiPhone and start all over with the JB. I recommend you stay where you're at, because if it ain't broke... well, you know what they say ;)
yeah, but this is my iPhone for experimenting! :D we're going on an overseas trip soon and i wanted to bring this one with me and see about getting a local sim just for kicks. so it's all good! thanks again for the help! :)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
duly noted! i apologize to the great iPhone unlocking expert for not directing my n00b questions to you immediately. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
duly noted! i apologize to the great iPhone unlocking expert for not directing my n00b questions to you immediately. :p
no, no no i didn't mean it like that...

i feel really awkward now..

but if you have a question... send a PM

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the help, I updated to 1.1.4 then used ziPhone and it worked.