required data plan

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
noticed this posted on the AT&T site about the iPhone 3g S.

Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

and it also states that the plan is required for the life of the phone and cannot be canceled.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
can they legally do this? What if I essentially want an iPod touch that happens to make phone calls? I personally cant find WiFi everywhere, if even when it seems like I do, it's locked servers.

But i guess if one signs the contract then there we go, they can do as they wish.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
With my iPhone 3G, that is what I was wanting. 98% of the time I am using Wi-Fi. Where I am, I only can get the Edge network, so if I am online using Edge, I can't receive calls. In reality, i am paying for 3G that I can't get and only use maybe 2% of the time.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I feel you guys.

Right now I pay $30 total for iPhone v1 data + 1500 texts.

Now I'm going to have to pay $30 for iPhone 3GS data and $15 for 1500 texts per month

That's insane!

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
Right now I pay $30 total for iPhone v1 data + 1500 texts.

Now I'm going to have to pay $30 for iPhone 3GS data and $15 for 1500 texts per month

That's insane!
You call it insane, yet you're obviously going to do it...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My cousin decided months ago that she didn't want the iPhone 3G anymore and sold it to me. She then called AT&T and bought a different phone and they canceled the 3G data plan immediately, with no charges or fees.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
My cousin decided months ago that she didn't want the iPhone 3G anymore and sold it to me. She then called AT&T and bought a different phone and they canceled the 3G data plan immediately, with no charges or fees.

I would just worry about them "catching on" with their quote:

"If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Yeah, AT&T doesn't make you keep the plan for the entire contract. However, if you call in to take it off, they won't let you, unless you give them the IMEI of another phone you're going to use on the account.

Joe