Resale value of 3G when new iPhone arrives?

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Exactly as the title suggests. What do you think the resale value will be? I know I'll be getting the new iPhone I just want to know what kind of return I'll have on my current phone or if I should just give it to my girlfriend.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
That's a good question - for both the 2G and 3G models.

I have an 8 gig 2G iPhone in pretty good condition that I will most likely sell once the new iPhone is released. Not sure what the going rate is for that.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
A have an unlockable 16g 3G in great condition. If I wind up selling it, I'm not sure what price it would bring, either. I think timing will be very important here.

rootleak

May 25, 2009
I have a black 16gb 3G brand new as of yesterday.

What do you mean by unlockable. Aren't they all unlockable? I haven't really followed the whole unlocking thing.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's a black 16gb 3G brand new as of yesterday.

What do you mean by unlockable. Aren't they all unlockable? I haven't really followed the whole unlocking thing.
If your iPhone has the 5.09 bootloader (hard-coded into the logic board) and your firmware version is at least 2.2.1, I think you're out of luck as far as a software unlock.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why sell it when you can give it to me since I'm iPhone poor?!:p
What a brilliant idea! :laugh2:

I could give it to my own son, but he probably couldn't afford the monthly plan, and he's pretty much a non-tech, computer-illiterate guy (could he really be my son?).

I'm joking about the paternity part, Josh, so if you ever do figure out how to access a forum and see this, no hard feelings! Love ya! :laugh2:

gogoplata1980

Bronze
May 6, 2009
Cleburne, TX.
What a brilliant idea! :laugh2:

I could give it to my own son, but he probably couldn't afford the monthly plan, and he's pretty much a non-tech, computer-illiterate guy (could he really be my son?).

I'm joking about the paternity part, Josh, so if you ever do figure out how to access a forum and see this, no hard feelings! Love ya! :laugh2:
I'm gonna let ya in on a secret: I am your own son.:eek:
You sending that bad boy via Fedex, UPS, or......;)

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Indy is my son. I taught him everything he knows.

Anyways i imagine the 3G will hold its value very well just as V1 has done since it can be unlocked to Tmo.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I really have no one to give my 3G to (and don't ask, unless you're family...:)) , so anything I sell it for will be a bonus and can help offset the $499 I'll probably pay for the new model.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I really have no one to give my 3G to (and don't ask, unless you're family...:)) , so anything I sell it for will be a bonus and can help offset the $499 I'll probably pay for the new model.
What about if its not unlockable? Do you think ATT will do the same thing as last time? Im thinking they should start letting us activate them at home using iTunes because I cant unlock mine (got it replaced with 2.2.1 already on it) and I know someone who would buy it if he could use it with his plan.

BTW I am your son
vvvv :p

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
What about if its not unlockable? Do you think ATT will do the same thing as last time? Im thinking they should start letting us activate them at home using iTunes because I cant unlock mine (got it replaced with 2.2.1 already on it) and I know someone who would buy it if he could use it with his plan.

BTW I am your son
vvvv :p
Does your iPhone have the 5.09 bootloader? When did you purchase it?

If you have the 5.08 bootloader, you can roll back the baseband to 2.28.0, which is unlockable.

I downgraded from 3.0 beta 5 to 2.2.1, then rolled the baseband back to 2.28.0.

BTW - you look nothing like my son...:p

gogoplata1980

Bronze
May 6, 2009
Cleburne, TX.
Well, since I am your son unlike these other posers, what kind of great deal are you bestowing upon me?:p

rootleak

May 25, 2009
Well I'm sure even if it isn't unlockable, it'll still be a breeze to sell. A guy I work with just offered me 200 so I suppose that isn't too bad.