"Reset all settings" and JB

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ring0_event, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hello,

I have a major battery drain issue on my IP5 on 9.02 (PanGu JB), and I doubt any of my simple tweaks, like Activator, SwipeSelection, CCControls, f.lux, FolderEnhancer, Navigate from maps, PkgBackup, iFile, user agent faker, tsProtector8+ (tried disabling it) are responsible. Under very moderate usage, my phone goes down 80% over 2 hours or so.
    Under the battery section in the settings, I get NO listing of app battery usage, so I have a major problem here. I used iCleaner to clean ONLY the battery logs, but it had no effect. I've killed all background apps, and made sure that background app refresh is OFF, but that made no difference. I've seen that some users have major battery drain issues under ios9 AND have no app appearing under the battery usage list, and one recommendation is to "reset all settings". However, I've seen conflicting information in my searches as to whether this affects my JB status or not.

So, I have two questions:
    a) What does "reset all settings" do precisely, and will it affect my JB?
    b) How else could I diagnose this battery drain issue?

Thanks for any help!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Using the Settings app to Reset All Settings is fine on jailbroken devices. I've done it several times on all of my jailbroken phones. You just can't Erase All Content and Settings when jailbroken.

Give it a try and post back if the problem continues.

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa, I did the reset (JB still OK), and will make observations over the day. I'll post the results. I still so far do NOT have any entries for battery consumption by application, like I did under iOS8 (though it's supposed to be better under iOS9)

4. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

OK, three things have changed:
    a) I forgot to turn on location services.
    b) I did not setup notification of alerts (I have many news/economy apps).
    c) I noticed that battery consumption information by application now WORKS! So "reset all settings" helped solve this issue. We'll see if it solves the crazy battery drain...

5. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi Europa,
    It seems that the battery drain issue has gone after "reset all settings" has been applied. Putting back all my settings has been quite the task. Two quick questions:

a) I wonder if you could help me find one setting which I had applied in the distant past, but can't find. I presume it's a setting: it relates to my wallpaper for my home/lock screens. I used to have black crop zones above and below one of my photos instead of white crop zones (photos are the *same* as ever). If this setting is impossible to find, I will have to modify my wallpapers manually. No biggie, but this has
    piqued my curiosity, and I could find nothing on this.
    b) I have a lot of notifications set up for a large list of news/economy apps. Is this a bad source of battery drain? Or is it push, and does not affect power usage much?

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

@ring0_event I applaud you for asking questions before launching into an action many folks might regret later on. Good job.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A. I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't see any crop lines. You used to have automatic white borders around your wallpaper? Do you have screenshots?

B. It's push notifications. I have it set up with one news app, Skype, Twitter, two deliveries apps, PayPal and the Apple Store app I haven't noticed any increased battery drain. I guess a large amount of them could have a slight impact on battery life, but it shouldn't be significant. iOS is able to handle these notifications quite well without battery drain.

8. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi Europa,
    Thanks for your reply. My wallpaper does not have the correct aspect ratio (it's almost square!), so it has been zoomed in to fit the width while retaining its original aspect. Therefore, as it's almost a square, there are two bars on top and on bottom (which I called "crop zones", probably NOT the best term). Like, say, a 4/3 old style TV broadcast on a widescreen TV, except of course, the crop zones are to the left and right, and not above and below as now on my iPhone screen. On my iPhone, these zones used to be black, whereas now they are white- this is what I don't understand. It's an easy fix outside my iPhone: just a make black background, with the place the adjusted picture in the middle. I'm just curious WHICH iPhone setting jumped so as to result in those two bars to be coloured white and not black...as my wallpaper is on my camera roll, and has not changed, while all iPhone settings have been reset. It takes a while to re-apply ALL settings (like parallax, which while enabled made me sick again...)
    In any case, my battery consumption issue has been solved, thanks for your help!

(wonder WHY this happened in the first place!)