Reset problem

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
I have a major problem. My iPhone has been loosing battery life for a solid 2 years since I bought it but now it started shutting off at around 20% then today it was 30%. Some times it just shuts off while I'm using it and other times I'll just look and it will be dead. Then when I power it on it shuts off again before it boots up then it says to plug it in and won't turn on till I plug it in. When it turns on it says a little less percent than what it said when it just turned off. It happens all the time. I can't reset the battery gauge cause I can't get it to zero. I have a 3GS running 4.3.3. It is jailbroken. Any info on how to fix this or atleast fix until november when My contract is up and can just get the new iPhone?
Thanks

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you're at 2 years with the phone, then battery life is going to be rapidly approaching 80% anyway, but it shouldn't be shutting off at 20 or 30%
Here are 2 resets to try.
1)Quick and dirty- the hard reset. Hold down both the home and sleep buttons till you see the silver Apple logo and then release. Let the phone boot normally then test
2)Settings, General, Reset, First option=Reset all settings. (Not the one that says delete all content.)

In either case, once the phone reboots, try running it down. If it dies early again, try another hard reset. You can do them from the phone being off. If it comes back up, run it down again. You might have to continue the process till you can't reset it anymore. Once it's totally down, connect the charger and make sure that it starts charging. It might take a minute or so for anything to happen.
If you have never reset (run the battery down) before, then your meter is in desperate need of a reset. If you have some it on any regular basis, then it's possible that your battery is actually dying. If that is the case, you have 2 options.
1) take it to Apple and they will swap the battery with a new one for $70.
2)go to iPodJuice.com and check out their pricing plans for battery replacement. I highly suggest sending it in, if you even slightly wary about taking apart your phone. Turn around time is quick, and if you have another phone to throw your sim into, you will at least have something while you wait the couple days for your phone to come back.

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
Those are good ideas. My battery never had a long life though. Hard resets do nothing I have had to do them many times a week for a long time now but The battery reset is a good one. but why should I pay for a new battery if my contract is up in 3 months. I mean I'll be getting a new phone then anyway. Hopefully the iPhone 5 or what ever the new one coming out in October is. It would just seem like a waste of money.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It depends on what you are going to do with your old phone. If you're just going to toss it, then investing in a new battery is pointless. If you're going to sell it, then 30 for a battery isn't a bad deal and a good selling point if you put it on eBay.

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
Just 30? That's not bad if that's all then I may just do it. I was thinking it was gonna be like 70 for a new battery. If it's only 30 I can probably swing that